Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 08-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #41
alantf

Re: Thinking about life after GZ..already..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
I know for a fact I will have trouble learning to speak and hear Irish. I have a terrible time catching on to different accents. I suppose that goes 2 ways. The Irish folks may not understand me either.
Do you have skype, and a camera, on your computer? I use it regularly (it's free on windows). I'd love to let you (or any other members) have a chat & hear a real Yorkshire accent.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #42
vikz250

I saw this one and talked to the seller, now if I can just get financed by my bank and get an affordable monthly then i will be a very happy man!!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/mcd/3211846102.html
Old 08-27-2012, 08:11 PM   #43
PG tips

Quote:
I know for a fact I will have trouble learning to speak and hear Irish. I have a terrible time catching on to different accents. I suppose that goes 2 ways. The Irish folks may not understand me either.
You mean the accent in english, as virtually no one speaks irish, there are some areas that speak it and also places here I cant quite catch the accent myself in english, I'm at times surprised by the amount of regional variations of accents in such a small country, I guess that could be the case in a lot of countries, especially where localities were isolated from significant outside influence.

Ok back to my dreams of a 650 v-star

Old 08-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #44
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Do you have skype, and a camera, on your computer? I use it regularly (it's free on windows). I'd love to let you (or any other members) have a chat & hear a real Yorkshire accent.
Thanks for the offer Alantf but I have none of the above to make an actual conversation possible. I did have a chuckle at my own expense in 2001 when when going to Newfoundland on a ferry. I started talking to a Newfie. We more or less talked for 90 minutes and I sort of caught on to his accent the last 15 minutes or so.
Two days later I was standing on the shore at the most Eastern part of Newfoundland and the Noth American continent. The Atlantic ocean even looked different than the Pacific. Colder and a little angry would describe it best. That was quite a jorney for a prairie boy.
So far I have been to the most Southern, Western and Eastern points in Canada. The most Northern point is not likely to happen unless I win a lottery.
Also the geographical center of North America. And the geographical center of Canada. Dang, I guess I have been around a bit haven't I.
I used to have a lot of pics but as they say "Three moves are as good as a fire." Digital is much handier when moving.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #45
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikz250
I saw this one and talked to the seller, now if I can just get financed by my bank and get an affordable monthly then i will be a very happy man!!

Nice looking bike. 2 things I feel that might help/hinder your decision. Firstly is "Affordable monthly" payment. If you have to stretch the budget then you can't afford it. When all the needed costs of living are easily satisfied then consider financing.........not until then. Better yet is when all the needed costs of living are satified then save the extra and pay cash for your next luxury purchase. That way you can afford to maintain the toys and insure them properly.
Yeah, I'm an old guy and learned these things the hard way. I know what it is like to be younger and have all the wants and needs of youth. Maybe just go for it and see what happens in the future. Experience is the best teacher and we only go around once in this lifetime.
Second point, however minor, the 883 is not really a touring bike. The bags will be handy for shopping and hauling stuff. Brain fart here. The GZ is not really a touring bike either but it does serve the purpose when asked. Don't listen to me, buy the bike and have fun. I'll shut up now.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:55 PM   #46
northsidegz

Hey vik, which do you like better? The first one you posted (what color is that one, gray? silver? I never know). Or do you like this 2nd one better (the red one)? Looks like this second one comes with some handy stuff like a luggage rack and crash bars and maybe even a little more chrome (? --- can't quite tell). But is that other one still available for $500 less ($5,500?). You can probably add the rack and crash bars yourself for less than $500. I think, maybe. Ok, not sure. Well, either way, if you go for one of them, hope the price and financing works out for you! New bikes are exciting.

side note: I rode the GZ to the grocery store for the first time since purchasing the Vulcan today. Still a nice little scoot. But I must say, it definitely felt like I was riding a little scooter (on the GZ) now after putting a couple hundred miles on the Vulcan. But it felt good to be on it again. And I removed the windshield (Hellfire Slipstreamer went on the Vulcan) and I kinda like this new look on my GZ. It's got a nice little mini-Road King look to it. LOL.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:08 PM   #47
vikz250

Yah I wont do it yet probably next season and hopefully I can find the right one I can afford..Insidentally my next door neighbor is selling his 2007 yamaha vstar custom 650 with 3200 miles only and he said he will give it to me for 3500 so now I got to thinking maybe that would be a better upgrade for me??its a nice bike too..
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikz250

Nice looking bike. 2 things I feel that might help/hinder your decision. Firstly is "Affordable monthly" payment. If you have to stretch the budget then you can't afford it. When all the needed costs of living are easily satisfied then consider financing.........not until then. Better yet is when all the needed costs of living are satified then save the extra and pay cash for your next luxury purchase. That way you can afford to maintain the toys and insure them properly.
Yeah, I'm an old guy and learned these things the hard way. I know what it is like to be younger and have all the wants and needs of youth. Maybe just go for it and see what happens in the future. Experience is the best teacher and we only go around once in this lifetime.
Second point, however minor, the 883 is not really a touring bike. The bags will be handy for shopping and hauling stuff. Brain fart here. The GZ is not really a touring bike either but it does serve the purpose when asked. Don't listen to me, buy the bike and have fun. I'll shut up now.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #48
vikz250

on a side note My GZ just turned 1,000 miles last night on my way home from work!! I love riding this thing specially now the weather is getting a lot cooler..
Old 08-28-2012, 04:48 PM   #49
frempath

Just to put a further twist on the issue.
Is most of your riding urban or highway?
If it is urban, a liquid cooled engine might be a better choice than an air cooled engine.
A radiator and fan helps keep the engine cooler at lights and low speed.

With Regards,

The older boy's GZ250 for about town.
Previous:
XJ 650
GS 450L
XJ 650
XS 650
TS 185
ATC 90
Old 08-28-2012, 08:00 PM   #50
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by frempath
Just to put a further twist on the issue.
Is most of your riding urban or highway?
If it is urban, a liquid cooled engine might be a better choice than an air cooled engine.
A radiator and fan helps keep the engine cooler at lights and low speed.

With Regards,
Also a liquid cooled engine generally last longer & have more power because they are built to closer tolerances.
:cool: