Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 01-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #31
mrlmd1

Re: Riding for fun and adventure...

They're not all like that, with the extended rear fender and hard bags, but they are rather pricey. And a little harder to find a dealer to get service.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-08-2009, 04:20 PM   #32
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
What about Polaris's Victory motorcycles? Some of them look a little "George Jetson-y" to me, but I don't hear much about them or see them out and about. Anybody have one?

There is a Dealer for those here in Hot Springs, and they are very nice looking (most of them) and they are VERY pricey.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:21 PM   #33
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
Speaking of riding positions on the GZ, has anybody ever tried scooting up onto the pillion seat to stretch their legs/rest their butt a bit on a long ride?
Yes but there is a problem.
I have short legs and then I have nowhere to put my feet.
Well, in truth, when I try it, I can't go back beyond the crack between the seats. (No crack jokes, please!) :biggrin:

I used to do that with my standard that had center pegs. On the GZ, the closest thing I can get is to hook my heels on the passenger pegs.....but that doesn't shift the tail weight much.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:20 PM   #34
Water Warrior 2

[quote=Easy Rider]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "music man":2kmz10jw
I have ridden a 600 shadow and even though it had WAY more power than my GZ, it was still a little small for ideal conditions on an extended trip
OK, I have to ask: Just exactly what about the 600 causes you to say that?

My guess is that it is more personal preference than any really solid drawbacks......????[/quote:2kmz10jw]

The seating position of the 600 is not the greatest for a long ride IMHO. Pegs are to far forward to allow the rider to move about and take some weight off the tail bone. Either it fits you or it does not. Also, if memory serves me correctly the 600 is only a 4 speed tranny which would limit it's highway appeal. A 5 speed would drop RPMs and/or increase cruising speed and comfort. I think Honda still makes them just so riders can outgrow them and trade up to a larger Honda. If Honda did a real redesign with a 5 speed they would sell a boat load a day every day for a long time.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #35
music man

You are correct, they are still 4 speed tranny's on the 600 honda.

Old 01-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #36
alanmcorcoran

If anyof you are not already sick to death of my quest, I think, with your help and lots of Internet reading, I have been able to add some "positive" criteria (things that would be a plus) to my previous message (of thing I don't particularly want.)

1) Shaft drive (not a biggie, but seems more sophisticated than chain)
2) Can cruise with lowish rpms at 80 (this would knock out the 650 class, but I think the 1100 might be fine. Many ride reports I read on Internet indicate people CAN do longish trips with 600 class motorcycles, but they wish they had something with more power)
3) Big Gas tank. 4.5 at least.
4) FI seems to be preferred over carbs.
5) Good seat. This seems aftermarket fixable, so probably not a dealbreaker.
6) Not sure on the V-Twin vs the other options mentioned. I have read many reports indicating the V Twins vibrate a lot, especially at highway speeds, but it doesn't seem to be universal. I suspect the main reason V-twins are popular is that they look like Harleys, and if it looks like a Harley, well, that seems to be what people think of when they buy a bike.

I'm going to go look at and ride the Vstar 1100 custom tomorrow. It doesn't meet all of my criteria, but, if I can get it for 5 grand, I can ride it for a few years, and then splurge on my "ultimate" bike. And if I lose interest, I'm only out another 5 grand rather than 15 or 20. Thanks again for all of the discussion on this. I know you have all been down this road a million times, and it's a lot less interesting when you aren't getting the bike, so I appreciate it even more.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:51 PM   #37
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
If anyof you are not already sick to death of my quest, I think, with your help and lots of Internet reading, I have been able to add some "positive" criteria (things that would be a plus) to my previous message (of thing I don't particularly want.)

1) Shaft drive (not a biggie, but seems more sophisticated than chain)
2) Can cruise with lowish rpms at 80 (this would knock out the 650 class, but I think the 1100 might be fine. Many ride reports I read on Internet indicate people CAN do longish trips with 600 class motorcycles, but they wish they had something with more power)
3) Big Gas tank. 4.5 at least.
4) FI seems to be preferred over carbs.
5) Good seat. This seems aftermarket fixable, so probably not a dealbreaker.
6) Not sure on the V-Twin vs the other options mentioned. I have read many reports indicating the V Twins vibrate a lot, especially at highway speeds, but it doesn't seem to be universal. I suspect the main reason V-twins are popular is that they look like Harleys, and if it looks like a Harley, well, that seems to be what people think of when they buy a bike.

I'm going to go look at and ride the Vstar 1100 custom tomorrow. It doesn't meet all of my criteria, but, if I can get it for 5 grand, I can ride it for a few years, and then splurge on my "ultimate" bike. And if I lose interest, I'm only out another 5 grand rather than 15 or 20. Thanks again for all of the discussion on this. I know you have all been down this road a million times, and it's a lot less interesting when you aren't getting the bike, so I appreciate it even more.
Alan, I envy you in your quest. Haven't done any real snooping in years. As for V-twin vibrations there are a few reasons. The degree of the V and the crank throws are the main things. Also is the engine rubber mounted or solidly bolted in the frame. Does the engine have counter balancers designed into it ? My VStrom for example is a 90 degree V-twin with perfect internal balancing with no counter balancers. Smooth as a sewing machine. As for 2 VS more cylinders..........a V-twin is narrow as opposed to a cross mounted inline 4 cylinder engine. There are more configurations but a V-twin is easy to build and has less moving parts than multi cylinder engines. V-twins also make more bottom end and midrange torque so you don't have to wring it out for power.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #38
alanmcorcoran

The vstar 1100 is rubber mounted (I think, unless it varies from year to year). not sure about the counter balancers. I will try to get it up to highway speed and give it the the "knee against the gas tank" test.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #39
mrlmd1

Don't forget the 3000 mile service (and stalling problem) on your own bike while you're looking at all the others. And ask the dealer while you are there, what the service charges are for the bikes you are considering if you're not going to do it yourself. The difference in maintenance costs and gas could be surprising.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:30 PM   #40
alanmcorcoran

Yeah, my stalling problem has gotten a little worse. I "discovered" my idle adjustment today and I believe I upped it a tad after I arrived at work this am. Yesterday I had trouble getting out of the parking lot and nearly ran the battery down on restarts (there are no hills for jump starting at the office.) Today I had trouble getting out of my driveway, and ended up artificially keeping my revs high at stops by pulling in the clutch in early and keeping the throttle up. I'm going to hold off on dumping carb cleaner in it because I am going to Chicago again next week and will likely have the bike's 3K service done while I'm away.

I have not heard good things about H-D servicing. Threads indicate that your warranty is tied to the service and the oil change frequency is aggressive. And the service charges are no bargain. The more I read about H-D, the more I think that it's probably not the right way for me to go. But, then, I still haven't ridden one, so who knows.

So many bikes, so little time.