Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 08-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
5th_bike

When Insults Had Class

This has been going around by email:

When Insults Had Class
These glorious insults are from an era before the English language got boiled down to four letter words.

The exchange between Churchill & Lady Astor:
She said, "If you were my husband I'd give you poison."
He said, "If you were my wife, I'd drink it."

"He had delusions of adequacy." - Walter Kerr

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." - Winston Churchill

"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." Clarence Darrow

"He has never been known to use a word that might send a reader to the dictionary." - William Faulkner (about Ernest Hemingway).

"Thank you for sending me a copy of your book; I'll waste no time reading it." - Moses Hadas

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

"He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." - Oscar Wilde

"I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play; bring a friend.... if you have one." - George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill
"Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second.... if there is one." - Winston Churchill, in response.

"I feel so miserable without you; it's almost like having you here." - Stephen Bishop

"He is a self-made man and worships his creator." - John Bright

"I've just learned about his illness. Let's hope it's nothing trivial." - Irvin S. Cobb

"He is not only dull himself; he is the cause of dullness in others." - Samuel Johnson

"He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up." - Paul Keating

"He loves nature in spite of what it did to him." - Forrest Tucker

"Why do you sit there looking like an envelope without any address on it?" - Mark Twain

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go." - Oscar Wilde

"He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination." - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)

"He has Van Gogh's ear for music." - Billy Wilder

"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it." - Groucho Marx

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-08-2011, 02:24 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: When Insults Had Class

Very funny.

My ex-mother in law didn't have stress but she was a carrier willing to infect others.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I really miss the amount of class that people used to have when dealing with a disagreement.

Have you guys every watched game shows, at the end where they interview people who just lost their place. On American TV, they always talk about they were cheated and how they were better than the other person. I watch the BBC gameshows every now and then and when people get kicked off over there, they wish the best upon the other person and mention how their own lack of ability or possibly some type of daily stress threw them off their game.

No excuses. No bad mouthing...

It must be nice to have some class.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
I really miss the amount of class that people used to have when dealing with a disagreement.

Have you guys every watched game shows, at the end where they interview people who just lost their place. On American TV, they always talk about they were cheated and how they were better than the other person. I watch the BBC gameshows every now and then and when people get kicked off over there, they wish the best upon the other person and mention how their own lack of ability or possibly some type of daily stress threw them off their game.

No excuses. No bad mouthing...

It must be nice to have some class.
Some folks have such a sense of entitlement to be first that they can't understand loosing to a better/smarter person. If they do accidently win they will still bad mouth the apponent rather than say he/she was a good test of their abilities.