Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Old 08-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
Nutterhead

Touchy Trottle

Hi all. My GZ that I just bought has a real touchy throttle. This is my first bike so I am learning as I go. Is there a way/how do I adjust the throttle so it isn't so touchy? Is this something I can do on my own or should I try and find someone with more experience to help me out?
2001 Suzuki GZ250

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-06-2010, 03:26 PM   #2
GZ Jess

Re: Touchy Trottle

I remember thinking that my throttle was touchy when I first got my GZ. It seems that when you are in a lower gear that opening the throttle or letting off of it is jerky. But after riding a while I haven't noticed it. I am not sure if it's because I am used to it or what. I would ride a little while before trying to mess with the throttle unless you have some one more experienced confirm your suspicions.

Jessica
Old 08-06-2010, 03:53 PM   #3
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by GZ Jess
It seems that when you are in a lower gear that opening the throttle or letting off of it is jerky.
:plus1:

Usually until the engine warms up thoroughly. I think you'll have to live with it on this single cylinder bike. I think it's just the touchy gz carb, because it never did it on my other single cylinder bikes, but it sure does on the gz. :2tup:

Old 08-06-2010, 04:39 PM   #4
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
It seems that when you are in a lower gear that opening the throttle or letting off of it is jerky.

Usually until the engine warms up thoroughly. I think you'll have to live with it on this single cylinder bike. I think it's just the touchy gz carb, because it never did it on my other single cylinder bikes, but it sure does on the gz. :2tup:
Better clutch control gets rid of the jerky motion.This will come with more experience.Some higher powered bikes are very jerky also if you are not used to them,especially fuel injected bikes.
:2tup: :rawk:

Old 08-06-2010, 05:25 PM   #5
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine

Better clutch control gets rid of the jerky motion.This will come with more experience.
Sorry, but I think that over 45 years of riding gives me "experience". And clutch control has nothing whatsoever to do with the jerkiness experienced when you shut the throttle of a gz engine that's not fully warmed up. Like I said, it's the ONLY single cylinder bike I've had that has as much jerkiness - and most of the bikes I've ridden have been small, single cylinder machines. I'm convinced that it's a carb problem, because when I first got the gz (new) it was REALLY jerky. especially when going round traffic islands at low speed. The very first dose of fuel additive (we can't get carb cleaner over here) cut the jerkiness by 90%, but it's still there with a cold (cool) engine. When the engine warms up/speeds up, more of the jerkiness goes away, but it's still the MOST jerky bike I've ever had.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Quote:

Usually until the engine warms up thoroughly.
Plus 2.........

However, having excess slack in the chain can make it worse, as can having the idle speed set too low and staying in a lower gear too long.

Putting on a 16Tooth front sprocket helps too.

Mostly it's something you have to get used to though.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:41 PM   #7
BillInGA

Also make sure your throttle play is within spec. Too little play can result in a touchy throttle as well.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:14 PM   #8
blaine

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine

Better clutch control gets rid of the jerky motion.This will come with more experience.
Sorry, but I think that over 45 years of riding gives me "experience". And clutch control has nothing whatsoever to do with the jerkiness experienced when you shut the throttle of a gz engine that's not fully warmed up.
No where in her post does she say that the bike is not warmed up.I assumed she was talking about normal operating temperature.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:31 AM   #9
Water Warrior 2

Heather, you may be too tense to ride without jerking the throttle. Try gripping the tank with your legs a little more and relaxing your grip on the bars. Your shoulders, arms, wrists and hands should be relaxed and not being so subject to bike for and aft motions when off and on the throttle. It takes practice and patience to achieve a smooth ride. Yes I know.............easier said than done but you can do it. And smile when riding the GZ, they like smiles. Honest.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:02 AM   #10
Nutterhead

now that I have been doing a little more riding on the bike I find that I am getting comfortable with the touchy-ness kind of like I am adapting to it and the longer I ride it seems to get less touchy. So maybe it won't be a problem.
2001 Suzuki GZ250