Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Free Classifieds > Complete Bikes

Old 09-23-2010, 04:43 PM   #1
Gar

Selling the 2001 GZ to move up. NJ $1400

Well it is finally about time to sell my 2001 GZ. After looking into to trading it I thought I would post it here for anyone interested or perhaps advice rather than taking a bath at the dealership.

The bike runs great and has about 6400 miles of which I put on 5000 the past 2 years owned it. The bike is red, has a sissybar, saddle bags and clamps. On the downside, there is a small dent on the gas tank (I didn't do it, but who here admts they did). It will also need a rear tire pretty soon. Other than that, it runs great.

I am in the Clinton area and I am pricing it to sell. The sissybar and Saddle bags have worth before you even get to the bike.

Thanks for the past 2 years, I have read the forum often!

Gary

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-23-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Selling the 2001 GZ to move up. NJ $1400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gar
Well it is finally about time to sell my 2001 GZ. After looking into to trading it I thought I would post it here for anyone interested or perhaps advice rather than taking a bath at the dealership.
So, what did they offer you at the dealer ??
And against what "new" bike at what price ?

KBB shows $1,000 trade in......but it's the total deal that matters.
If the bike you are looking to buy is already heavily discounted, your trade-in won't bring as much.

For ME, it wouldn't be worth $3-400 to undertake the hassle of a private sale.
To each his own though.
What if you don't GET a buyer at $1,400 ?? or at 13 or at 12.
It's a good time of the year to be buying a bike......but NOT a good time to be selling.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
Gar

Thanks for the reply, I do appreciate it.

Basically, I end up with $1250 towards the trade. Suzuki has a rebate, but there is nothing else taken off the price, so my question would be, does the bike get discounted when I go in there to buy outright? So even if I end up with the exact money in cash the dealer offered, do I lose again because I would get a bigger discount not using a trade? Kind of like a car deal where the dealer gets the car for free and makes money on the sale.

I figured I would look here before I pulled the trigger as there is a lot of knowledge here.

What would you do Easy?

Old 09-23-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
Gar

BTW I am thinking of a C50T or a Honda Shadow. I like the dealer and they have always treated well.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:33 PM   #5
mrlmd1

If you trade it on a new bike, that lowers the purchase price of the new bike and you save sales tax on that amount - eg. if the tax was 8%, on $1250 less from your trade deducted off the purchase price of a new bike, you would save $100 in sales tax. That's the same as selling the bike privately for $1350, but much easier to dump it off at the dealer.
Settle on the price of the bike including whatever rebate there is, before discussing the trade. Then tell the dealer you want to trade your bike, he offered $1250 for your bike, so that comes off the price of the new one. The price for the new bike should be the same with or without your trade-in. You don't care what he sells your bike for.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:49 PM   #6
Gar

They made the same point regarding the tax. The current rebates last till the end of the month, so I may pull the trigger and I am glad I got some opinions as I feel better about it.

Sorry to see the GZ go.

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2010, 11:05 PM   #7
alanmcorcoran

Regarding your questions on discounts, it depends on the bike, the dealer and the market. I bought two bikes 6 months apart.

One was at the peak of the five dollar gasoline frenzy, in mid model year, after nearly all entry level bikes were sold out. At that point, there was not only no discount on a new GZ (the only '08 left in Southern California) but the dealers were actually tacking on about $500.00. This is in addition to the standard "shipping fee" (which runs $400-$600) and assembly fees. I think mine had some sort of safety inspection fee. Initially, the dealer had $500 of indefensible fees tacked on mine and I threatened to walk. I still paid list price (I think it was $3249.00) plus shipping plus assembly, plus license and tax (about $4500! altogether.)

The second one was at the depth of the economic collapse. I bought a ~$16K motorcycle for $12K out the door. It was a "leftover" from a previous model year. After you subtract assembly, shipping and taxes, license/DMV fees, etc. I got it for the equivalent price of about $9700.00.

So, yes, you can get discounts, but it all depends. I've seen Honda Shadows discounted - some significantly - but it doesn't mean that you'll find the same deal, especially if supplies are tight in your neck of the woods (which I doubt would be the case right now.)

Check how many the dealers have in stock and act accordingly. If there's only one in the state, you're gonna pay for it. If they have a floor full of them, you can probably get at least 20% off.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:09 AM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gar
What would you do Easy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gar
I like the dealer and they have always treated well.
Since they are offering you $250 above list for your bike, I'd guess that you could get an additional $250 off the price if you paid cash.....but that's just a guess.

I like to support my local dealer......so maybe he will still be there when I need him........so I would probably take the deal......but that's just me. The market is REALLY bad now in most parts of the country so you probably could get a lower price if you are comfortable with dickering. You should be able to judge that by how many 2009 models they still have on the floor.

Those are pretty big bikes you are looking at. Are you a fairly big guy......and was the GZ your first and only other bike ??

And......as long as I am poking my nose into your business ..... :roll: ...... can you pay cash for a new bike ?? If not, I'd suggest shopping around a bit more for a good used model. Vulcan 500 and Shadow 600 ('07) seem to be popular here with former GZ riders.

AND lastly, if you post the year, model and price here some of us might be able to check and see how that compares to other shops around the country. My dealer still has a Vulcan 500 at $1K off list. Not being TOO far from NYC, there probably are other dealers you could compare with too.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:19 AM   #9
CMS

Would you consider selling the sissy bar and the saddle bag supports? CMS

2017 Yamaha R -3 White
2013 Suzuki GW250 Black
FSSNOC # 4953
Old 09-24-2010, 11:24 AM   #10
mrlmd1

Now with Fall approaching up there and maybe getting colder one of these days. plus the new year's models. if any, coming out soon, or at least the designation as a 2011 bike, the prices should be lower now than in the Spring. Just try and make a deal with the dealer for what you want to pay. Very often as you threaten to leave, or as you walk out the door, they will call you back and give in.