Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 08-08-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
peanut

Use BOTH brakes...

So I've had my bike for 2 months now with only 1 close call. It happened last week riding to work. I was coming to a 2 way stop intersection. A 2 lane road (1 lane each direction) crosses a 2 lane (1 in each direction with a turn lane) road. I as turning from the turn lane of the 2 lane w/ turn lane onto the 2 lane, which also happens to be the parking lot of my work.

It's a 55 MPH road and semi's use it all the time since its by a chemical plant and 2 refineries, but its really not bad. Actually its almost a luxurious stretch of road! Anyway....

I was in the turn lane to go left while a pickup was on the 2 lane and wanted to turn left across me. Well either he thought I would take the turn faster or didn't want to wait for the semi that was coming from the other direction, he started coming. My reaction was good and I slammed on the back brake and eased on the front... you experienced riders probably see this coming now... My back tired started coming around and he ended up coming through the lane and stopped just before the turn lane, so I let off the back and straigtened out and got to work fine.

A fellow rider was out smoking and told me that I actually smoked my back tire! I guess I locked it up, right? The saving grace was I put engine bars on a couple weeks ago and slammed on the foot brake to make sure there the bars wouldn't interfere, so I knew the back tire would come around like that. She also said that she only uses the front brake. It's been a few years since I took the MSRC here, but isn't that unsafe?

Moral of the story: Both brakes together and equally
Possible Moral: Extra underwear in the saddle bags is OK :biggrin:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #2
alantf

Re: Use BOTH brakes...

I was always taught to use the front brake slightly before the back brake. With the GZ, braking steadily from medium speed, front brake only, works fine. You must have a good rear brake, to lock it up completely, because usually, the GZ rear brake is not very efficient.
Old 08-08-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Hmm. As I understand this you were on a 2 lane with stop signs facing traffic to your left and right. You had the right of way concerning the cross traffic and a semi was approaching you from the opposite direction. Is this correct??

Old 08-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #4
peanut

Thanks alantf, its good to know front brake only isn't going to flip at low and medium speeds!

You have it correct WW. The semi was a ways off, I wasn't cutting that close at all.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #5
alantf

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut
its good to know front brake only isn't going to flip at low and medium speeds!
I should've said......Never,ever, use the front brake while you're going at walking pace with the bars turned. The bike will go down every time. That's the one time you use back brake only.

Old 08-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut
its good to know front brake only isn't going to flip at low and medium speeds!
I should've said......Never,ever, use the front brake while you're going at walking pace with the bars turned. The bike will go down every time. That's the one time you use back brake only.
Yup, you will likely go down. For a complete explaination of front end geometry you can find it in Proficient Motorcycling. David Hough writes a very informative chapter on the effects of speed, cornering and braking.
Old 01-05-2015, 08:51 PM   #7
6447.tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
Yup, you will likely go down. For a complete explaination of front end geometry you can find it in Proficient Motorcycling. David Hough writes a very informative chapter on the effects of speed, cornering and braking.

Amen to that! I learned this from experience on my first week of riding my GZ250.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:59 PM   #8
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6447.tak View Post
Amen to that! I learned this from experience on my first week of riding my GZ250.
Now is the time to buy that book. A better understanding of front end geometry makes you a better and safer rider.