Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 12-21-2016, 05:46 AM   #1
raider007

starting

Hi guys , well I got this Suzuki marauder 250cc . It been sitting idle for 4 years. Had not run for a couple either. Anyway .....I was hoping since it looked clean and dry in the fuel tank it been stored well....got that wrong.....tried to fuel it and using a power pack to start it when a ton of fuel poured over the ground....so then plan b) undo the tank and clean it out ...and clean out air filter box and filter..... ..remove Carb from bike....then I notice the choke cable don't work its rusted solid and has squash kinks...also the throttle cable on one side is broken mid length...on the return side....open up the Carb.--.and the words oh my god does not cover it....petrol varnish ...rust ...everywhere.......so today was clean the Carb day ...used 1 litre of petrol and full 750ml can of Carb cleaner on it and in it...spent hours unclogging the jets ...the main speed jet 125 took the longest...every jet was solid gummed up. So with boiling water on the stove and cleaner and some small wire..followed by the air compressor...got all of them cleaned. What I could not get out was the needle housing retainer screw...and for some reason the jet with large nut would not come apart but every jet came out ..I blew it clean as I could . Removed fuel varnish etc...I could not get the top black plastic cover off...the screw just don't want to let go..so I am wondering if this will start ...even if I don't have functional choke....or throttle ...so I boosted the idle screw up a bit.....ready for a try ...also the mixture screw was out like 4 turns ...but I cleaned it and put it back as 3 turns,,,hoping this will allow start. Float height was good . Needle and seat work...every else got blown out and cleaned ...anything I missed for tomorrows start up try

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-22-2016, 02:28 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by raider007 View Post
Hi guys , well I got this Suzuki marauder 250cc . It been sitting idle for 4 years. Had not run for a couple either. Anyway .....I was hoping since it looked clean and dry in the fuel tank it been stored well....got that wrong.....tried to fuel it and using a power pack to start it when a ton of fuel poured over the ground....so then plan b) undo the tank and clean it out ...and clean out air filter box and filter..... ..remove Carb from bike....then I notice the choke cable don't work its rusted solid and has squash kinks...also the throttle cable on one side is broken mid length...on the return side....open up the Carb.--.and the words oh my god does not cover it....petrol varnish ...rust ...everywhere.......so today was clean the Carb day ...used 1 litre of petrol and full 750ml can of Carb cleaner on it and in it...spent hours unclogging the jets ...the main speed jet 125 took the longest...every jet was solid gummed up. So with boiling water on the stove and cleaner and some small wire..followed by the air compressor...got all of them cleaned. What I could not get out was the needle housing retainer screw...and for some reason the jet with large nut would not come apart but every jet came out ..I blew it clean as I could . Removed fuel varnish etc...I could not get the top black plastic cover off...the screw just don't want to let go..so I am wondering if this will start ...even if I don't have functional choke....or throttle ...so I boosted the idle screw up a bit.....ready for a try ...also the mixture screw was out like 4 turns ...but I cleaned it and put it back as 3 turns,,,hoping this will allow start. Float height was good . Needle and seat work...every else got blown out and cleaned ...anything I missed for tomorrows start up try
You may get iffy results until you get the choke and throttle return cables repaired to a serviceable level. Lube whatever is stuck and replace whatever is broken or frayed. You may also want to lube the inner speedo cable while you are at it. Just undo the top end of the cable housing from the speedo head and pull out the inner cable. Wash in varsol or similar. Slide the clean inner back in the outer sheath while spraying a little chain lube on the inner cable. ATF will also work well for lubing the inner cable.

The choke cable may just be stuck due to age and lack of use. Unfasten the carb end of the cable and invert it to drip some ATF down into the cable sheath. ATF will work it's way down and hopefully free up the cable.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:28 AM   #3
raider007

Ty. Water warrior 2...... well no go on choke cable its retired....lol.....have to wait till post new years to get parts ordered now....bummer.. into plan b on the tank ..after cleaning it and petcock...found a few tank pin holes masked by inside junk in the tank......so I going to try and repair seal the holes ...and I have to make a gasket for the petcock mount..o ring can not be purchased and its leaking like a opening on a bucket....so got to fix tank now first before test running of engine....bummer I know but .--...anyway see if I can fix it :-)

Login or Register to Remove Ads