Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 04-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
lars

FLAT Tire

I was just thinking and couldn't figure out what you do if you get a flat with a motorcycle. With a car you've got the spare, what about with a bike?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-02-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
cayuse

Re: FLAT Tire

Short of calling for a tow, you can try plugging it yourself. There are kits available. Green Slime and a hand pump is one option.

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA
Old 04-02-2012, 09:32 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

A small 12 volt compressor is a handy item to have if you are a long way from home. Lynda carried a compressor and plug kit for her tubeless tires while on her trip. If all else fails have the bike hauled to any nearby shop for a tire repair.
I have been very lucky with flat tires. Discovered a rear tire that went flat overnight at home. No big deal. Removed the wheel and delivered it to the local shop for fixing.
Had only one flat with dirt bikes. Truly funny and fortunate though. We returned to our camp site for a break and the tire went flat while the bike was parked beside the bike trailer. I spent the rest of the afternoon reading a good book while the rest of the crew went back out.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #4
mrlmd1

Spoked wheels have tubes in the tires and you can't plug them, The tire has to be removed to replace the tube.
Carrying tire repair kits and a compressor won't help you if you can't remove the wheel. That's what cell phones are for.
If you have tubeless tires on solid rims you may be able to repair it enough to get off the road to someplace where it can be more permanently repaired/replaced. You may get away with plugging a rear tire and riding it a while but a damaged front one should be replaced as a safety concern.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:27 PM   #5
lars

Is it worth it to add roadside assistance to the insurance package? I know towing can get expensive real quick.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:50 PM   #6
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars
Is it worth it to add roadside assistance to the insurance package? I know towing can get expensive real quick.
How much is the added ins compared to a tow truck for 50 miles?
Old 04-03-2012, 04:51 AM   #7
alantf

Quote:
Don't know how it works in America, but over here towing is automatically included in the insurance.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:27 PM   #8
Skunkhome

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
Don't know how it works in America, but over here towing is automatically included in the insurance.
Typically only as a rider . :cool:
Old 04-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #9
Scheezo

Send a message via AIM to Scheezo Send a message via Yahoo to Scheezo

Quote:
Last I checked, AAA was about $35 per year. Cost me $100 to have my bike towed last time.
Old 09-22-2013, 08:22 PM   #10
bwader

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:
That's how it should be. Every vehicle is going to need towed at one time or another. Not everybody knows how or wants to change a tire, fix a tube, or change a spare. My girlfriend doesn't even know how to put air in tires! Sad part is she doesn't care, she never had a problem going to a shop. I do, I don't like paying more money than I need to.

Depends on what insurance company you choose. I have Progressive and I believe it covers at least $75 of the cost. I think towing cost twice that at least. I know for sure it costs only $10 more a year on my M/C insurance to have towing coverage. I isn't too much more especially when I pay about $200 a year on my plan and I don't have bare minimum. Its worth it to have towing coverage on there, even if it might not cover the full cost of towing.