Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 05-22-2012, 07:54 AM   #31
mithuth

Re: 1999 Suzuki Marauder vz800 Starter issue

You see, there's a LOT of misinformation our there regarding the vz800 marauder and I've spent quite a bit of time sifting through false info before doing anything. There was apparently a transition period for the marauder where they changed some of the starter solenoids from an old style to new, there were multiple setups where they used a canister oil filter like mine, and others where there was a filter with two o-rings internally. It feels like a sherlock holmes mystery every time I want to do something to the bike.

What i've learned so far: Mine is chain driven, external oil filter (canister like a car), new style starter relay and solenoid, and I'm missing my tool try under the seat that is supposed to cover the battery.

Back to the oil: Sitting level, engine off, approx 1700ml + another approx 400ml of oil put the level just a hair above the bottom hash marks, and when the bike is started the level drops for just a second and once the flow levels out, it's right between the upper and lower marks. the friend that came over and lent me a hand for my first MC oil change said it's perfectly fine where it's at. Though he did suggest that since the previous oil was nasty and a mess that I change the oil and filter again in a few hundred miles just to be sure all the burnt up sludge gets out.

I'm not saying anyone here has suggested anything wrong, it does however seem like the marauder was a piecemeal bike for Suzuki and they sort of threw whatever they wanted into the bike at a whim.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #32
Water Warrior 2

I think you should be looking for a service manual soonest. The bike will be less of a puzzle.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:24 PM   #33
mithuth

I'm watching for a PDF version in my Internet travels.

Old 05-21-2017, 07:58 PM   #34
shoppersplace

Hitting with a hammer

Lately, I have been hitting my starter with a hammer to get it to work. I cannot find any 2001 starters online, and the rebuild kit did not show a solinoid inside. Is there a solinoid inside the starter? Thanks
Old 05-21-2017, 08:22 PM   #35
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoppersplace View Post
Lately, I have been hitting my starter with a hammer to get it to work. I cannot find any 2001 starters online, and the rebuild kit did not show a solinoid inside. Is there a solinoid inside the starter? Thanks
Nope.....Sounds like sticking brushes.