Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 04-06-2014, 06:59 PM   #21
Water Warrior 2

Oh my goodness. Your bike is a wreck.................send it to me soonest.

Seriously think you got a fine bike. It looks almost brand new and my fav GZ color with the pinstriping on it. After an oil and filter change to go with a valve check you will just need rubber replacement.
Take some time to adjust the hand/foot controls to fit your body. Lube everything that moves and it will be even better. The price is just fantastic for the condition of the bike.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-06-2014, 08:03 PM   #22
gtfoss1986

Razz good deal

It included saddle bags and windshield and battery tender junior. New battery last year. I'm saving funds for new rubber. I lubed the chain tonight as it needed it. I'm headed tomorrow after work to get oil and element to do an oil change. Otherwise its very nice. I made my first rookie mistake tonight. I put seafoam in the gas tank and took off to head to the gas station. Pulled up flipped out stand got off and proceeded to fill. Filled her up got back on turned it over tried to put into gear she was a little sticky but I wiggled the shifter and bam in 1st. She muffled out. Found neutral and redid the process she snubbled out. I was like omg wtf.... Oh I am a dumbass. Kickstand was down lololol. I hope I didn't do damage wiggling the shifter but she road back nice. As for idle adjustment if it is running high will the bike smell more of oil? I adjusted it when I got back at idle to just above thumping now sounds good. Thanks guys
Old 04-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #23
Water Warrior 2

Sticky shifters are easy to fix. It is likely the shifter linkage itself. Just squirt a little chain lube into the rubber booties(2)where the shifter linkage lives. The linkage is also adjustable in case it is too high or too low for your boot. One end is reverse threaded to allow the adjustment. Loosen the locking nuts and turn the shifter rod a wee bit while watching for up or down movement of the shifter itself.

Old 04-06-2014, 09:30 PM   #24
gtfoss1986

Question Valve Adjustment / check

You guys keep mentioning this. Since I probably want to get this done asap probably in a week or two, anyone know if this is a lengthy process or do i need a professional to do it. I can do my own oil changes and lubrication however I am no carb master by any means. Anyone know or close to an estimated cost for this by a motorcycle mechanic? USA lol I know Canada and Europe is a little different .

And is it alright to commute to work and back roughly 20 miles a day... I know i live far from work lololol... until I get the valve check / adjustment done?
Old 04-07-2014, 02:22 AM   #25
Water Warrior 2

A valve/check and adjustment is usually about one hour by the book. The shop will need the engine to be cold to do the valves. Drop it off one day and pick it up the next. Or if you are in the right area drop it off in the morning and pick it up after work. Quite a few members do their own valves successfully but I opt for a professional to do the job so I don't create a bigger job by really messing things up. It is a talent I developed early in life.
Carbs are very simple overall and there are some very talented carb gurus on the forum to walk you through almost anything short of a direct missile strike.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:14 PM   #26
gtfoss1986

Question Cost

Just found a Valve check / adjustment is 119$ so that's not bad . Okay I have another wonderful insightful questions peeps. As I'm riding along I like to down shift approaching a stop. Occasionally when I near second and also going into first i feel the and kinda hear a chain sound in my clutch? like a larger version of a bicycle chain switching gears. Is this a normal sound / feeling or is it something i need to get looked at?

Thanks
Old 04-07-2014, 08:16 PM   #27
gtfoss1986

Oil Change

BTW got my 2 quarts of oil and filter tonight after work tomorrow I will perform my oil change . I'm a sucker and I'm using the Suzuki oil I know I will change it up soon enough but for 2 quarts and the filter it was only $15.00 so that to me isn't bad. And then some more
Old 04-08-2014, 02:30 AM   #28
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoss1986 View Post
Just found a Valve check / adjustment is 119$ so that's not bad . Okay I have another wonderful insightful questions peeps. As I'm riding along I like to down shift approaching a stop. Occasionally when I near second and also going into first i feel the and kinda hear a chain sound in my clutch? like a larger version of a bicycle chain switching gears. Is this a normal sound / feeling or is it something i need to get looked at?

Thanks
You might be downshifting at too high a speed for the gears to mesh properly. Try shifting at a little slower speed for the gear you are down shifting into. You might also blip the throttle just a moment before down shifting when you pull in the clutch. It takes practice to get the timing right so don't get discouraged with an occasional grinding. After you develop muscle memory things will be smoother and more natural feeling.

Just remember there are no stupid questions when it comes to riding and wanting knowledge to be more informed about your bike or riding skills. We can supply a lot of answers but most of us agree with a proper riding course and reading Proficient Motorcycling by David Hogue. An onsight riding instructor will do wonders for your safety and skills.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:45 PM   #29
gtfoss1986

oil change

Well I changed my black gas smelling oil tonight. It still had a little copper/caramel color left. What a simple wonderful little time with my bike. I polished it tonight and cleaned her up. When the oil was drained placed new filter put her back together added about a quart and a half oil ran it for a bit to check for leaks looked at oil lvl had to add a little more waited for contents to settle and at the appropriate level. I'll take more pics tomorrow. I enjoy my little cruiser guys
Old 04-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #30
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

What's the carb issue again? WW is right - we can walk you through pretty much anything.

There is also a Valve check How-To on the site. I haven't looked to make sure the photos transferred over with the forum swap but it was pretty informative and contained a link to the original posting on the interwebs.