Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 09-28-2015, 05:22 PM   #1
motobikemike

1st gz in prudhoe bay AK ??

Well I had 28 days in alaska this year on the gz and decided to ride the haul road to prudhoe bay after riding all the main paved roads. The middle of july and it was 33f . I had to spend an hour on the rear wheel spokes before I headed back.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-28-2015, 06:09 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by motobikemike View Post
Well I had 28 days in alaska this year on the gz and decided to ride the haul road to prudhoe bay after riding all the main paved roads. The middle of july and it was 33f . I had to spend an hour on the rear wheel spokes before I headed back.

4 weeks in Alaska would be a dream come true. Spent some time on Alaska's paved roads back in 1986. Had a wonderful time travelling in a van.
Being younger and not too bright we left Edmonton Alberta in late Sept. Weather in Edmonton is just beautful in Sept. Not so much in Alaska in early Oct. Duh! Get this. We drove into Fairbanks Alaska in 82F temps. It was an unusually long Fall season.
Just South of Fairbanks is North Pole Alaska(a few miles). Christmas all year round at Santa's workshop. A very large tourist trap and I loved it.
Fairbanks to Anchorage was an amazing drive. We were surrounded by mountain ranges with white snow caps while the rest of the mountains were covered with red Fireweed. Awesome sight that I will never forget. With binoculars we could see the snow falling.
From Anchorage we wandered East to the Yukon border. Drove the Top of the World Highway to get into the Yukon. No pavement at all, just a wide goat path with border guards in the middle of nowhere. Kinda funny though, the U.S. side had 2 men an uniform and the Can. side had a mom and her 8 year old son. Had to be a seasonal crossing as I am absolutely positive no one in their right mind would travel there in winter.
I could likely write a book about that trip.

Mike, thanks for sharing. Please post more pics for our members to see some more of a beautiful part of the world.