Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-07-2017, 08:29 PM   #1
brizbot

Turn Signal Switch = Bane of My Existence

Hi Fellow 250ers

I'm currently pulling my hair out because I can't get my left hand turn signal to illuminate on the turn indicator or the signals themselves. It flashes for a secon and then nothing...
I have cleaned the switch itself thoroughly and checked the fuse. When I take the switch apart and touch the terminals it works pretty well.

Any suggestions?

Has anyone swapped out the switch for another kind? These things seem very cheaply made...

Thanks for any ideas
Briz

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-08-2017, 01:47 AM   #2
leonj2932

crying

I have pretty similar issues , any help or suggestions guys ?? Also my switch doesn't seem to do anything , the front turn signals light up but they don't flash , and the rear don't work whatsoever !
Old 05-08-2017, 04:37 AM   #3
alantf

If the front signals light up, it seems the switch contacts are working. seems like the problem is somewhere round the flasher unit itself. ????

Old 05-09-2017, 01:51 AM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonj2932 View Post
I have pretty similar issues , any help or suggestions guys ?? Also my switch doesn't seem to do anything , the front turn signals light up but they don't flash , and the rear don't work whatsoever !
On the GZ the front signals lights serve as signals and running lights whenever the key is on. The front signals get brighter with the left or right signal on. The rears are just signals(no running lights) which use a single element bulb while the fronts use a 2 element bulb.

Check out all your bulbs and make sure they are serviceable. New ones are cheap.
Old 05-09-2017, 02:27 PM   #5
leonj2932

Oh No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior 2 View Post
On the GZ the front signals lights serve as signals and running lights whenever the key is on. The front signals get brighter with the left or right signal on. The rears are just signals(no running lights) which use a single element bulb while the fronts use a 2 element bulb.

Check out all your bulbs and make sure they are serviceable. New ones are cheap.
Oh ok so you are sure the rear turn signals are not running lights ?? And everything work fine now except the rear turn signals , I replaced all bulb but as soon as I connect the rear turn signals the front also stop working . If I disconnect the rear turn signals the front ones work perfectly !! I cleaned the connection of the rear turn signals but still nothing ! Could the rear turn signal wires be bad ?? Or is the flasher unit only responding to the front ones and not functioning properly for the rear turn signals for some reason ???

Old 05-09-2017, 02:58 PM   #6
Vegas Street Rider

The rear turn signals are strictly for that. They are not running lights like the front ones. I would take a tester and check your continuity for the wires running back to them. Your wires may have the insulation rubbed off somewhere and are going to ground.
Old 05-09-2017, 03:10 PM   #7
brizbot

I'm thinking of buying a brand new switch and hoping it will work. I'd rather buy something different but I am not sure what is compatible and I am not a mechanic by any stretch so modding it to work is out of the question..
Old 05-09-2017, 03:21 PM   #8
Vegas Street Rider

Everyone has their own comfort level regarding what work one is willing to do to his/her ride. We will help all we can with our suggestions and experience but sometimes replacing a component is the best course. Before you do, just make a good visual check of your wiring harness tracing it to your flasher(it sounds as if you have done that) and check for any obvious signs of damage. Keep us posted how things turn out because we never quit learning from other rider's experiences. Good Luck!
Old 05-09-2017, 04:32 PM   #9
blaine

You didn't happen to put double contact bulbs in the rear as you thought they were the same as front. ????

Old 05-10-2017, 07:32 AM   #10
Water Warrior 2

The rear signals are for signaling only. According to the law your rear lights would have to be a red color to function as running lights and have a 2 filament bulb.