Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 06-10-2017, 08:27 PM   #1
bwader

2005 GZ Leak Starting problem leaks from cylinder near exhaust

Went to start bike Friday morning. Cranked and used jump starter. no luck

Today I checked gas tank seemed very strange I only went 84 miles on 3+ gallons in tank.
I added 2 gallons and started up and I ran it a minute, had other things to do.....

Later today I try cranking it over and doesn't start.
Smells of gas.
Leaks from exhaust where it attaches to head and oil and gas mix from cylinder head.

So I'm thinking I have new carb parts and needle, maybe it got stuck flooding gas into engine, looked at sight gas its full! it wasn't the other day I checked oil level when I started up bike Thursday.

Then the oil and gas coming out of head? new gaskets needed and torqued. I haven't torqued them ever. I glanced at some thread on here the bolts get loose over time and intervals

In past week I've gone to and from work a few times prior to this no issues. Also several weeks since I replaced carb parts and cleaned.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by bwader; 06-10-2017 at 08:32 PM. Reason: details
Old 06-10-2017, 08:43 PM   #2
bwader

Oil from head with gas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170610_185825.jpg (94.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg 20170610_185845.jpg (97.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 20170610_185848.jpg (97.7 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20170610_185813.jpg (98.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 06-10-2017, 10:40 PM   #3
Vegas Street Rider

Spldart might be a good resource for this among others. Might wait for him to check in. And he will.

Old 06-11-2017, 04:04 PM   #4
spldart

Fuel tank, 84 miles, 2 more gallons?
PROBLEM
Second.
Wouldn't start added 2 gallons and then it did start. I'm guessing it wasn't full after the 2 gallons?
Is fuel getting past the petcock while bike is off?
Service manual has procedure for setting float level and inspecting needle and seat for wear.
Prolly do that before starting to throw parts at it. Choice is yours though
Oh! You are new parts? Did you set per factory spec? service manual and youtube are your buddies!!

Mine seems to love to leak a little from the valve clearance access plates and the head gasket.
New head gasket seems to have fixed that leak but I used gasket sealant for the access covers.

I'm kinda wondering if your motor oil in the case has a gas smell to it...
Old 06-11-2017, 07:27 PM   #5
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by spldart View Post
Fuel tank, 84 miles, 2 more gallons?
PROBLEM
Second.
Wouldn't start added 2 gallons and then it did start. I'm guessing it wasn't full after the 2 gallons?
Is fuel getting past the petcock while bike is off?
Service manual has procedure for setting float level and inspecting needle and seat for wear.
Prolly do that before starting to throw parts at it. Choice is yours though
Oh! You are new parts? Did you set per factory spec? service manual and youtube are your buddies!!

Mine seems to love to leak a little from the valve clearance access plates and the head gasket.
New head gasket seems to have fixed that leak but I used gasket sealant for the access covers.

I'm kinda wondering if your motor oil in the case has a gas smell to it...
I'm thinking the same.......Is the crankcase full of gas??????.......Caution......Do NOT try to start again till you determine that the oil is free of gas.

Old 06-11-2017, 08:41 PM   #6
bwader

Im going to try draining OIL. I think there is gas in it.
And yes it does smell of gas from the head with the OIL.
The day I added 2 gallons gas I checked the tank it was empty. Then when I added some gas it started right up. So I thought I'm a dummy its out of gas! So I had 2 gallons and filled with it. Then it was later I tried start up and I took pictures and leaks.
Still 84 miles city riding at 40mph or less other than a couple highway runs for some miles turn around and come back.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:48 PM   #7
spldart

40 mpg is indicative of a serious problem.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:07 PM   #8
bwader

More like 21mpg! I started with a full tank on the 84 miles. I'm real sad about that, I got 50 highway and 65 mpg with mostly 45mph in years past.
Yeah I'm going to check petcock over next couple days as time permits. if it leaks by. I had it in the normal position with just 2 gallons in tank. I could do a quick fix putting a valve to stop fuel going to carb when parked in meantime.

My carb months ago I replaced carb needle and brass part it seats with. And cleaned passages and removed jets too, and put back together on bike. It ran great afterward. I had issues at that time of not being able to open up throttle without issues before that cleaning and repair.

I'll try replacing head gasket if need be after I check gas in OIL and drain. Time for oil change anyway I got a 3 pack of oil filters recently and I'm scared my gz will be down and require a lot of money ever since I saw my bike like this. Hopefully it's just gas leaking from petcock into carb and into engine and that would explain the bad gas mileage.

Other problem the head/cylinder gasket. I have some rtv sealant
Old 06-13-2017, 07:26 AM   #9
bwader

Update:

Yesterday I drained the oil and it was runny with gas. I changed oil filter too. Fresh oil in bike now.

I tightened cylinder head bolts and one of them kept turning and broke on me not using a torque wrench. They were loose bolts. Also exhaust bolts were loose.

I also checked to see if fuel petcock was working stopping gas, and it does work. I pulled off hose and had a container handy and saw fuel come out in Prime and stop in other positions.

So gas must have gotten in through carb. and its not leaking out gas tank anywhere. My carb needle and seat are a few months old. I guess all it takes is for it to get stuck open.

My next plans of action is I think I will:
1.new head bolts and get the broken one out. Hopefully it comes out and isn't stripped.
Seemed like bolt snapped when it broke on me. I can do take apart head waiting on bolts
2. Spark plug see if it needed tightening I haven't tried yet, and remove and clean.
3. Compression test (No air pushed out like before when I tried to start after tightening bolts)
4. See if bike will start. Then take apart and replace head gasket and replace bolts and get out broken one of course. I might as well take carb apart and inspect
5. Put back together and do compression test. and try to start bike.

Any suggestions? at this point I'm just putting together plans.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:02 AM   #10
spldart

So petcock sounds goodl.
All this excess fuel is occurring while bike is running.
Sounds like float, needle, seat issue.
Or possible cracked carb housing.