Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Old 05-20-2011, 04:21 PM   #1
dvsDave

Installing Hyperlite LED Taillights

This is my first mod and my first How-To on this forum so bear with me here.

I purchased the Hyperlites Modulating Taillights (Running and Braking Lights Universal Kit) and the optional License Plate Bracket.

I started by first removing my saddle bags, it would be impossible to do this with them on. I then attached the Hyperlite Bracket. I used a kit from Autozone (since the previous owner didn't leave me with the nuts and bolts to mount the license plate to the tail assembly. Basically it came with two washers (per side) and security torx bolts and nuts.

From the outside, I layered it as Bolt -> License Plate -> Washer -> Hyperlites bracket -> License Plate Bracket -> Washer -> Nut.
*Note* DON'T Tighten them together yet!

I then drilled a small hole (about 1/8th inch) into the rear tail assembly (Technically called the Rear Frame Extension) , just above the license plate bracket.

I then mounted the rear LED's to the Hyperlites Bracket and fed the cables between the License Plate and the Hyperlite Bracket (look closely at the above picture), then tighten the bolts holding the license plate.

Take all four of the wires (2 blue, 2 brown) and feel them thru the hole. (I added some heat shrink tubing first so that the wires seen in the above picture would be concealed and protected from the elements.

Then I disconnected the Tail Assembly from the Rear Frame. There are four 10mm bolts that hold the entire assembly in place. Hard to reach, but it's doable. Here's a graphic of the rear frame with the brackets that the bolts go through highlighted in Red to help you visualize the locations. (also a picture shot of the underside of my bike.

I then grabbed the Hyperlites controller and after cutting the green wire (so the lights would blink for 5 seconds then go steady) I loosened the three screws holding the taillight to the Rear Frame Extension and put the module in the extra space on the right side.

I then put more heat shrink tubing to the bundle of four cables coming up from the hole on the underside of the Rear Frame Extension.

I then cut the cables to length and wired the blue wires with the blue wire coming from the controller and likewise with the brown cables using the included Posi-Twist connectors. You have to carefully strip back about a half-inch on each cable first, then twist the cables together, then use the Posi-twist.

Now you want to turn your attention to the left side, you want to slice carefully into the big bundle of wires coming from the left side of the bike. There should be 3 wires inside (Brown or Blue, White w/ black stripe, and Black w/ white stripe)

I then cut the hyperlite controller cables (black, grey, and red cables) to length, striped then about a half inch, and using the posi-taps, hooked the controller cables up to the Bikes cables.

Hyperlite Cable -> Bike Cable
Black -> Black w/ white stripe
Grey -> Brown or Blue
Red -> White w/ black stripe

AT THIS POINT, please turn on the bike and test the hookups! If they are working, then go ahead and continue, if not, double-check all the wiring and make sure the posi-taps are on tightly and correctly!

Once confirmed, you just want to carefully tuck the posi-taps into the extra space on the right rear of the taillight and reattach the Rear Frame Extension.

Here's what the finished results look like. (Running, not activated)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-20-2011, 10:31 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: Installing Hyperlite LED Taillights

Well done. The extra lights are certainly eye catching. That was one of the must have upgrades Lynda wanted when she upgraded to the M-50. Her GZ had a modulator on the OEM brake light but it isn't near what the HyperLights do for tailgaters.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:30 PM   #3
geezer

wow just got the bike and already moding it, good for you dude

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
dvsDave

I think adding a headlight modulator is next, after new tires. Then the 16T mod. I'm a bit more hesitant on the needle shim mod or any of the other engine mods, although those seem to have the greatest effect on performance.