Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 12-13-2017, 03:06 PM   #11
Vegas Street Rider

Wanted to update this thread with a little bit of additional data regarding cleaning and lubing my chain. This past weekend, I replaced the chain on my GZ after 17,550 miles on it. It was due. My new chain is from Jeremywell International Inc. It is the recommended 520-110 O-Ring style chain with a master link. It cost me $32.50 with free shipping and took me ten minutes to put on. I got the gold color, which is a really nice contrast to the black and chrome on my bike. Lot less vibration and gives me a little more pep.

I know there is some debate of the worthiness of chains with master links vs. riveted chains, but on a bike as small as the GZ, I have no worries.

As a reminder, I have used WD 40 to clean my chain and Du Pont Dry Teflon to lube it. Keep in mind that I am in a very dry climate. Those of you in wetter climates might have different results, but I am happy with the wear I got out of the original. Will see how this new chain performs.

By the way, Merry Christmas to you all.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-13-2017, 04:02 PM   #12
Fawlty

And Merry Christmas to you and yours! Did you replace the sprockets as well? Always advisable.

(Johnny Strabbler-The Wild One 1953)
Old 12-13-2017, 05:36 PM   #13
Vegas Street Rider

I thoroughly inspected both the front and rear sprockets and had no significant wear on either. Nice crisp edges with a good taper and all the teeth still had the flat top at termination. The good thing about the sprockets on the GZ is that they are steel and not the lighter weight aluminum type. I plan on replacing them on my next chain. Will see if I get the same mileage out of this chain with the old sprockets. If not, lesson learned.

Login or Register to Remove Ads

Last edited by Vegas Street Rider; 12-13-2017 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Additional information.

Tags
chain, cleaning