Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Old 12-04-2012, 10:31 PM   #11
chandlerbingfl

Re: How-to : Valve Adjustment

Once again you all came through with some valuable information for me (and in the long run others like me)! So I gather I might not need the screw/cork thing after all.... I've been frustrated with this from the get-go so....

I finally got the cover of the left side! I ended up using the end of a pair of wire strippers and a vise grip for leverage and it came loose. I am now most of the way to get on with adjusting the valves.

More to come, hopefully I can get this done without bothering you great enthusiasts anymore.....

Always appreciative!
chandlerbingfl

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-05-2012, 12:34 AM   #12
Rookie Rider

On the last photo above, should a gasket be put on of any kind ?
Old 12-05-2012, 01:20 AM   #13
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Rider
On the last photo above, should a gasket be put on of any kind ?
No,there is a o-ring in the cover.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #14
Rookie Rider

Thank you blaine
Old 12-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #15
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Rider
Thank you blaine
No problem.Glad to help!! :2tup:

Old 12-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #16
chandlerbingfl

I'm baaaaaack........ Finally got ahold of a 22mm socket and have the timing mark lined up and finding the valve adjustment specs of IN. : 0.03-0.08 mm (0.001-0.003 in) EX.: 0.08-0.13 mm (0.003- 0.005 in) and I am all set to start but the feeler gauges I have are marked as follows.

The sizes range from .008in/.203mm through .026in/.660mm so just looking at the numbers. Does this mean my set of feeler gauges will not work?

Maybe it's my lack of knowledge on these things but I'm guessing I need a different set of gauges unless someone here can tell me otherwise.

Also are these valves opened by a common tappet? I believe so but the more I get into this the more questions I have....

Much thanks!
chandlerbingfl
Old 12-08-2012, 02:43 PM   #17
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlerbingfl
I'm baaaaaack........ Finally got ahold of a 22mm socket and have the timing mark lined up and finding the valve adjustment specs of IN. : 0.03-0.08 mm (0.001-0.003 in) EX.: 0.08-0.13 mm (0.003- 0.005 in) and I am all set to start but the feeler gauges I have are marked as follows.

The sizes range from .008in/.203mm through .026in/.660mm so just looking at the numbers. Does this mean my set of feeler gauges will not work?

Maybe it's my lack of knowledge on these things but I'm guessing I need a different set of gauges unless someone here can tell me otherwise.

Also are these valves opened by a common tappet? I believe so but the more I get into this the more questions I have....

Much thanks!
chandlerbingfl
The feeler gauges should work for you. I am assuming you have the flat blade type. If you need something thicker just pick any 2 guages that add up to the needed number and slide them in together.
The rocker arm is sort of a "Y" shaped affair. The top of the Y has separate adjusters for each valve. The bottom of the Y is common. You will have 2 exhaust valves with separate adjusters on a common rocker arm. Same applies to the intake valves.
Do take a look at a fiche diagram that Ronayers.com can provide online. It will give you a good view of the entire assembly before you dig into it so there won't be any surprises.

Fiche files have been of immense help to me in the past when I am in unfamiliar territory.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #18
chandlerbingfl

Thanks WW! I have angled gauges but if you say I can put 2 together - which ones?

The gauge set I have starts at (in inches) .008 .010 .012 .013 .014 .015 .016 .018 .019 .020 .026. If the exhaust gap shpuld be 0.003in - 0.005 in, it appears to me that even my thinnest is not thin enough. Or is my thought process muddled due to my frustration. Unfortunately if I had ~$150 I'd just have a shop do this but I don't so any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks again,
chandlerbingfl
Old 12-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #19
mrlmd1

Take another look at your gauges to be sure of what you are reading, ie,. make sure of the decimal point and whether it's in. or mm.
If they are too big, then you need a thinner set.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #20
chandlerbingfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Take another look at your gauges to be sure of what you are reading, ie,. make sure of the decimal point and whether it's in. or mm.
If they are too big, then you need a thinner set.
Yeah I sort of figured that would be the case..... Kind of sucks but it is what it is.....

Thanks again,
chandlerbingfl