Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Old 10-08-2007, 09:33 PM   #11
bhppy101

Forgot to mention that I filled the holes that where left by the buttons with the left over cut out foam from the main seat. I just cut out 2 thick squares...then trimmed them to the approx size (about 1/4" bigger around) and used scissors to taper it at the bottom to make a cone shaped plug....kind of like a cork. I then sprayed both plugs and the seat holes with 3M contact adhesive (buy it at any Walmart or Home Depot).....let it dry...than pushed the plug into the seat holes leaving about 1/4" of the plug over the seat surface. I then took my disk sander with an 80 grit sanding disc and smoothed out the top surface as I thinned out the whole passenger seat. It came out perfectly smooth like 1 piece.

Just a note when using a disc sander for shaping: Barely touch the seat with the sander and remove small layers at a time by making multiple passes over the seat. If you put any pressure on the sander to the seat....it can get away from you and the next thing you know....it sanded down way too deep....so work slowly until you get your desired shape.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-09-2007, 05:49 AM   #12
Badbob

It looks good and it gets rid of those damn water collecting buttons. However I would guess that a seat modified like this would cripple me on a long trip. The stock seat damn near did.

On a GZ250 seat the foam compresses so bad that after about 30 minutes you are practically sitting on the seat pan. If your going to go to the trouble to do this mod I would suggest replacing the foam with something better while your at it. Unless of course your not planing to ride it more than 10 or 20 miles at a time.