Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips

Old 02-14-2014, 12:07 AM   #11
JWR

Insurance goes by OEM parts and dealer labor rates.
Gas tank and a few other things were really all that was wrong, but the foot brake lever scratched the frame and that was the dollar killer.

The parts and labor write up was over 10,000 dollars.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-14-2014, 12:19 AM   #12
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainlinecoffee View Post
I think that's the thing he used to keep his face on his head and off the pavement...good point I didn't even think of.
34% of get offs result in a face plant. Full face is the only way to go. I believe in ATGATT because there is the added protection of armor in the knees, hips, elbows and shoulders if you go down. Actual riding boots and leather gloves are a must.
You may be the best and safest rider in the world but a Buick backing out of a driveway can still get you. It can happen in the blink of an eye.
I have textile pants and a jacket that are machine washable when they get dirty or covered in bugs. Just pull out the armor and add a bit of soap.
The final decision is up to the individual and the amount of risk he or she is willing to take. Riding a motorcycle is risky enough without going half naked in the process. I rode 2 or 3 times with only jeans instead of riding pants. Felt good and cool in the warm weather but if I had a fall my knees might never be the same.
Ask BurksBuild about his slow speed crash 2 or 3 years ago. It was quite devastating both physically and emotionally but he fought back with all his might to get on 2 wheels again. All because of a dog on the loose and it ran out to get him. BB is a safe rider with many miles under his belt but stuff happens.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:23 AM   #13
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
That's awesome,rode it home and it's still totaled.
A bike can be totaled and rebuilt. The rider...........not so much. Notice he was dressed ATGATT.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:43 AM   #14
mainlinecoffee

Never had much trouble out of buicks but lexis 330s suck ass. Got cut off as I was down shifting to a red light,impact at about 33 mph broke both arms and got a asphalt vasectomy. Two years two metal plates and 28 pins later I don't go one day without Extreme discomfort or pain. Jeans and a tee shirt did right by me,didn't get a scratch on my head thank god,my family would never forgive me or let me hearths end of it.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:46 AM   #15
mainlinecoffee

I really wish it was simple as ball bearings roofing nails and a loaded pistol. A cage is a deadly weapon too so logically I should return the favor when peoe try to kill me.

Old 02-14-2014, 12:52 AM   #16
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Never had much trouble out of buicks but lexis 330s suck ass. Got cut off as I was down shifting to a red light,impact at about 33 mph broke both arms and got a asphalt vasectomy. Two years two metal plates and 28 pins later I don't go one day without Extreme discomfort or pain. Jeans and a tee shirt did right by me,didn't get a scratch on my head thank god,my family would never forgive me or let me hearths end of it.
OUCH!!! That sounds ugly. I'm willing to bet the family didn't want you to ride again.
The pain sounds like a bad way to live. Lynda bunged up her shoulder and it wouldn't let her get a good night's sleep. Tried a bit of medical weed and finally slept an entire night without waking in pain and discomfort. A full time prescription may be in her future.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:30 AM   #17
mainlinecoffee

I'm glad she found something that worked,I gave up my right to chemical peace of mind a long time ago,AMA ended up taking Advil 800mg after the wreck and surgery...physical therapy helped more than anything. Still feel fragile as a teacup some days...family about disowned me when I went and bought a goldwing a few months later. I have been a slave to fear and it's no way to live. Today even in my powerlessness I won't give up what makes me happy.
Old 02-14-2014, 07:07 PM   #18
Water Warrior 2

You gotta do what you gotta do. If the GW keeps you happy then life is worth living. You need to be in control of your happiness. It is good to ride with a little fear as it will keep us alert but there had better be that big smile on your face too.
Never had a bad wreck on a bike but do know pain. Thankfully it is all in the past. Spent a lot of time on crutches or canes just to support my weight after severely bruised and swollen discs took me out of commission. My spine was S shaped rather than straight.
Last time was in 2005 a week after I got the Vstrom. Dropped it and picked it up wrong. Spent 6 weeks doing therapy exercises at home to no avail. Couldn't even walk properly. A kind soul gifted me some recreational weed and the next day I went for a walk after 18 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Was riding again the following day.
I am grateful for every pain free day and the fact that medical science has control of any other ailments. Statistically I passed my expire due date 15 years ago so life is more than good to me.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:23 AM   #19
mainlinecoffee

I have re read that post twenty times now and I can't for the life of me figure out what is GW? But more on topic glad you are better,a spines and crushed discs are no bueno. Feel your pain on the vstorm the first time I tried to lift my goldwing I messed up my right arm pretty bad,apparently I didn't let it heal enough from when they put the plates in and it fucked some tendons bad on that one. My right hand still sits lopsided on my arm from it. Has weed continued to work for pain relief? I never got the chance to try it. I never owned anything but a duffel bag full of clothes when I was getting high and never started working on machines until I was almost a year clean.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:57 AM   #20
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
I have re read that post twenty times now and I can't for the life of me figure out what is GW? But more on topic glad you are better,a spines and crushed discs are no bueno. Feel your pain on the vstorm the first time I tried to lift my goldwing I messed up my right arm pretty bad,apparently I didn't let it heal enough from when they put the plates in and it fucked some tendons bad on that one. My right hand still sits lopsided on my arm from it. Has weed continued to work for pain relief? I never got the chance to try it. I never owned anything but a duffel bag full of clothes when I was getting high and never started working on machines until I was almost a year clean.
GW=Gold Wing

Weed.....Moderation is the key. Just a puff or 2 to make the pain go away. A fellow I know has a couple puffs everyday after work to stop the pain in his knees.
From what I have read the legal medicinal weed will not get you high like the recreational stuff.
Maybe I'll put in an order before I drop the Silver Wing.