Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 02-12-2015, 10:41 AM   #1
tml1138

Basic Rider Course question for those that passed but still took it a second time

My wife and I both took the Ohio Basic Rider Course for beginners back in 2011. We both passed and now have our endorsements. However, life took a turn quickly (we had a baby) soon after so I rode only a handful of times in 2012 and she's not rode since the course. We are planning on taking the course again for a refresher.

However, we don't want to take the test over again at the end of the course weekend.

Has anyone else taken it over again? For any who have, were you able to just skip out on the testing part? I want to say when we went our first time, there were people who took it again and just left come test time and the instructors were ok with this. But I can't recall for sure. We just want to make sure we can do this and not get flak for it.

Thanks!

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-13-2015, 05:45 AM   #2
alantf

Why not go and ask the instructors?
Old 02-13-2015, 07:31 AM   #3
tml1138

That's a good idea, if I knew how to contact them and/or who was doing the instructing now. I thought of calling the Ohio DMV, but I figured I'd ask here and see if someone already had an experience like this.

Old 02-13-2015, 08:51 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

I can't imagine that would be a problem. Likely you and your wife will be welcomed and thanked for tuning up your skills before hitting the road. You have your endorsements so you should not have to try for it again.

As a side note: Wear All The Gear All The Time(ATGATT). You don't want the littlest family member growing up with a maimed or dismembered parent. Orange or yellow reflective vests will make you more visible. You won't look silly, rather more like responsible adults.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:06 PM   #5
Water Warrior 2

Just a little history lesson and my riding education. Started riding borrowed bikes in my early teens. Bought my 1st bike at 31 years young. 30 years later I joined Lynda when she took her riding course. After the course I was a much much better rider and riding was even more fun and relaxing on the street. Previous to the riding course I was just plain lucky to have a hard working Guardian Angel to keep me alive. Never crashed or had an oops on the street but it was a matter of time as I see it now.

It is everyone's decision to ride, wear and live the way they want but play it safe. Be here for the long haul.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:52 AM   #6
tml1138

Thanks for the tips. We follow the rules and take it seriously. Hence why we are taking our time and doing the course over again.

I'd like to think I am respectful of these machines. Two vehicles I take a more serious tone with when I sit on them are lawnmowers and motorcycles. Don't try anything dumb and use your head at all times. The biggest difference though is a lawnmower you are the only one out there in the yard. A motorcycle you have to worry about everyone else out there on the road too, not just yourself.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:04 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

I definitely agree. You have to watch out for the other guys.

Having watched a lot of bikes on YouTube it is easy to see which riders are paying attention to others on the road. watching bike crashes is kind of scary but educational. Many riders have no idea how to stop fast to avoid a mishap. It all comes down to practice practice and more practice.

An excellent read for new and older riders is Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough. Read it cover to cover. It's all good.