Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Old 05-12-2017, 07:04 PM   #1
leonj2932

Irate rear flat tire

hey all , so i need some help and wisdom since i obviously am very unwise. So heres the story , i woke up to ride my bike to school and it had a flat . being me i just inflated it to see where the air was leaking. there was a small nail inside the tire. took out the nail but i did not actually test to see weather the nail had completely penetrated the tire since it was very mall. i proceeded to plug the tire by myself for the first time ever since i saw that the tire said tubeless on it. I plug it and i guess i did not do it right cuz the plug was leaking air when i tested it with soap and water. took it to a tire shop to get properly plug. then proceeded to use Fix-a Flat after the tire kept losing air from somewhere else that i could not find. Brought the bike into the quietest environment possible. i was able to hear the air leaking now. still could not for the love of god find the hole. Placed arm on valve stem , valve stem leaks. tested valve stem with soap and water , valve stem and several spokes were leaking , ,.. what the hell!!! doing some research i came across sum one saying all tubeless tires have tubes inside of them if the rim has spokes. can anyone confirm this. and now how do i fix my tire?? ive never done this before on a motorcycle

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-12-2017, 07:13 PM   #2
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonj2932 View Post
hey all , so i need some help and wisdom since i obviously am very unwise. So heres the story , i woke up to ride my bike to school and it had a flat . being me i just inflated it to see where the air was leaking. there was a small nail inside the tire. took out the nail but i did not actually test to see weather the nail had completely penetrated the tire since it was very mall. i proceeded to plug the tire by myself for the first time ever since i saw that the tire said tubeless on it. I plug it and i guess i did not do it right cuz the plug was leaking air when i tested it with soap and water. took it to a tire shop to get properly plug. then proceeded to use Fix-a Flat after the tire kept losing air from somewhere else that i could not find. Brought the bike into the quietest environment possible. i was able to hear the air leaking now. still could not for the love of god find the hole. Placed arm on valve stem , valve stem leaks. tested valve stem with soap and water , valve stem and several spokes were leaking , ,.. what the hell!!! doing some research i came across sum one saying all tubeless tires have tubes inside of them if the rim has spokes. can anyone confirm this. and now how do i fix my tire?? ive never done this before on a motorcycle
Yes the tire has a tube...Thats why you see air leaking around the spokes.....Most tires today are tubeless but still require a tube for spoke wheels......The wheel needs to come off so a new tube can be installed.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:21 PM   #3
leonj2932

ok perfect , thank you so much for the info, being inexperienced i assumed since it said tubeless it was tubeless lol. any info on how to change the tire? like will i need a breaker bar for the nuts and bolts?? and a torque wrench to put them back on. also how exactly do you take off and put the tire back on, or do i have to take that to a shop ??

Old 05-12-2017, 07:24 PM   #4
blaine

Quote:
ok perfect , thank you so much for the info, being inexperienced i assumed since it said tubeless it was tubeless lol. any info on how to change the tire? like will i need a breaker bar for the nuts and bolts?? and a torque wrench to put them back on. also how exactly do you take off and put the tire back on, or do i have to take that to a shop ??
You can do it yourself...But if you have no experience I would strongly suggest you take it to a shop or at least get someone to help that has some experience....That way you can watch & learn so you can do it yourself.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:02 PM   #5
spldart

Dunno if you want to try this....
But to install a new tube.
You need two tire irons and a bed.
That's right... A bed.
Has to have feet not rollers.
I pull the valve from the stem flattening the tire.
I then pick a side I'm going to unseat the bead of the tire.
Obviously the wheel is completely removed from the bike.
I set the bed foot on the bead right near the wheel.
I then sit down hard on the bed corner unseating the bead.
You may need to repeat a couple times to get the whole bead off one side.
Then the tire irons are used to pull the bead OVER the wheel edge.
Tons of youtube videos on this.
R and R your tube *youtube* again
The tire iron your bead back over the wheel edge careful not to pinch the new tube.
Lotsa youtube....
Inflate till the one side bead reseats then back off air pressure to factory spec.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:04 PM   #6
spldart

And wear safety goggles whenever using tire irons.
If one gets loose it can ruin your day or put out and eye.
Old 05-13-2017, 12:06 AM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
You plugged the tire but did not repair or replace the tube. As soon as you added air it leaked from the tube and found it's way to the spokes and valve stem to reach freedom.

Some bikes have tubeless tires but do need a tube because the wheel itself is designed for a tube to hold air. As for doing the tube replacement or repair I have always gone to a shop and let the experienced folks do the job. If I muck it up myself trying to save a buck I have to go to a shop anyway and that just increases my costs.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:03 PM   #8
leonj2932

yeah i took off the tire, replaced the tube, now the only issue is i cant get the second side of the tire back on, i dont have tire irons, just being using this large metal pry bars, donr want to damage the tire, . So i took it to a shop, they dont work on motorcycles and there is no motorcycle shop near me . I gave it to a friends friend that said he could do it , but its been like a week and now i have no hopes of getting my tire back . can anyone recommend a good rim that is not too expensive, and that can also run tubeless ??
Old 05-22-2017, 08:57 PM   #9
spldart

Your not just gonna find an allow wheel that will pop on.... Unless you know a guy with a cnc rig a big piece of aluminum and tons of time on his hands.
There is a million gz250 rear wheels to be had.
have a shop pop a cheap shinko on the back.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:28 PM   #10
wacio

I noticed that little water with soap on the tire goes long way. Also don't forget to push the tire already on the rim into middle where the rim has smallest diameter wherever possible - this will make that last bit to go over the rim much easier.

Last edited by wacio; 05-22-2017 at 10:34 PM.