Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 09-21-2010, 06:54 AM   #11
3-D Video

Re: A Brave Boy's Ride - Jawbone OHV Trails (Photo/Video)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
but then they made a movie of it and killed my interest in the whole thing.
I had a small production company in San Francisco. I talked with Herbert about getting the film rights... I thought I/we had some pretty good ideas. But, he sold the rights for $1,000,000 (a record setting amount at the time) to De Laurentiis. Cool with me because De Laurentiis had the bucks to do a really great job, and I loved the book... You can't even imagine how disappointed I was when I saw the film

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-21-2010, 07:05 AM   #12
alantf

Quote:
then they made a movie of it and killed my interest in the whole thing. Sometimes the written word is best.
Same thing with Clive Cussler. Loved his books. The film of "Raise the Titanic" was mediocre, and they altered the ending. "Sahara" was one of the worst films I've ever seen. :puke:
Old 09-21-2010, 02:02 PM   #13
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Alan, I used to have the entire Dune series. It was exceptional in many ways IMO but then they made a movie of it and killed my interest in the whole thing. Sometimes the written word is best.
I never saw it in full but if memory serves Sting was in it and that would sour me on it as well. I was a bigtime science fiction reader in junior and (regular) high school but eventually I migrated towards what I guess is called "literature." Still read the occasional collection of SF stories though. SF is kind of like reading junk food, and every once in a while you come across something particularly tasty.

With the exception of the Matrix (first one only!), Blade Runner and maybe Total Recall, the movie versions of these things rarely live up to my expectations. It's a thrill, though, when they do.

Edit: (Actually, now that I think I about it, I don't know if I ever read Matrix. The other two were Philip K. Dick adaptations, as was the somewhat disappointing Minority Report and the kind of oddball "Scanner Darkly")

Old 09-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #14
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Alan you sure pick on tall expensive bikes.
Ran into two dudes riding these at a rest stop right after some really thrilling snaky stuff on CA33 through Los Padres. They really look like I imagined an adventure bike should look. Haven't seen one since, but they've stuck in my brain. My experience is, one day I will have one. Did not have the same reaction to the BMW's with the engines that seem to stick out, but really, I got to do a lot more thinking and research before I take the leap.

BTW, my Strat is absolutely not tall. And, relative to an equivalent HD, (especially since I bought a two year old model) not really that expensive. Relative to the GZ, well, yes. But it's not much taller than the GZ. Seriously.
Old 09-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

My Vstrom is an adventure bike and many riders take them everywhere all over the world. I am basically a pavement pounder with the ability to do some off roading. Adv bike differ from dirt bikes and street legal enduros in that they can be used for touring and carry a pile of stuff with little effort. Adv bikes are heavier and their height can be a liability if you are new to the off road game.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:41 PM   #16
mrlmd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

-Dune, Frank Herbert

OK, it's cheesy science fiction claptrap, but it always resonated with me - and it kinda works!

Sometimes fear is a good thing - if it means seriously looking at something and reasoning it out. It can keep you out of trouble instead of just leaping off the cliff and hoping the landing will be OK when your brain knows it won't be. On the other hand, too much is not a good thing either, it keeps you from going to the edge to see if you want to take that leap.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:46 PM   #17
mrlmd1

Busy- your bike can be called an Enduro, another word for a dual sport bike, that can be ridden on the road (is street legal with head and tail lights, turn signals), and is capable of off road riding as well.
Instead of the van and bike arrangement, at one time I had a full-sized Desert Storm type Hummer H-1, then years later a Jeep. Talk about off road riding, hard to compare with those. But you sure look like you are having a lot of fun, like I said, just wish I could do that down here. May have to move to Arizona or California (not).

And don't you just hate little kids like that? They have no fear at all. He's just riding down that hill fast enough to keep from getting run over by the trucks following him. Smart kid.

Where do you mount your camera now for those videos?
Old 09-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #18
BusyWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd1
Busy- your bike can be called an Enduro, another word for a dual sport bike, that can be ridden on the road (is street legal with head and tail lights, turn signals), and is capable of off road riding as well.
Instead of the van and bike arrangement, at one time I had a full-sized Desert Storm type Hummer H-1, then years later a Jeep. Talk about off road riding, hard to compare with those. But you sure look like you are having a lot of fun, like I said, just wish I could do that down here. May have to move to Arizona or California (not).

And don't you just hate little kids like that? They have no fear at all. He's just riding down that hill fast enough to keep from getting run over by the trucks following him. Smart kid.

Where do you mount your camera now for those videos?
Thanks, Mr. MM.
That clears out the definition of the Enduro.
Those different type names of bike confused me.. still.. ^^;
So, now I could say that "My bike is an enduro type!!"
"Enduro" word make me more better feeling.. ha ha ha

The kids is a really brave boy for make decision; I felt that he was thinking little bit just before he put the throttle on.
And he removed his fear out by shouting "Follow Me !!!".

My camera is mounted on the Chest.
I wear camel-backpack which has strap on the my chest side.
So, I put the camera (Kodak Play Sport Zx3, thin and light weight) on there.
Amazingly, with this ENDURO bike, camera angle is perfect for me.