Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 07-20-2018, 12:29 AM   #1
09GZ250

Rebuilding a GZ250 in bad shape

I have a 09 GZ250 in pretty bad shape. It's been sitting for years. Hasn't been ridden since 2011. Rusty chrome ign switch is broke off needs everything. I'm thinking about rebuilding it so I'll have a cruiser to go with my Hayabusa and a friend said when I get it done and am ready to upgrade he'll buy it from me as his first bike.

I plan on making it better than stock because it being Suzuki's cheapest cruiser they used some sub par parts like chrome that has started to rust. Those parts will be triple chrome plated with a clear coat for added protection. It's a sad sight right now I have already repaired the few dents in the tank I might just get a new one. It was my first bike. It will take a while to restore it cause money is tight and I have other things to worry about now. I plan on stripping it down to the bare frame and stripping and painting everything (good thing I know how to do automotive paint).

It only has 5500mi on it I have to buy it from my mom it's her bike at the moment even though she don't ride. I'll get pics sometime and keep this thread posted on the rebuild. I think it will make a good cruiser when I just want to take in the scenery and cruise until I get something bigger maybe a Shadow 750 and it'll make my friend a good starter bike. When he gets ready to move up I'll buy it back probably since it was my first.

Engine runs good some of the plastics need to be replaced exhaust needs to be replaced frame powdercoated I'll prob put close to what it's worth but I plan on keeping it awhile. The gz I can cruise the busa I have to watch going 3 times the speed limit. My gz will do about 87mph so it's fast enough for a cruiser

It'll be a while but I will restore this bike and post progress of the job wnd will eventually have a nice cruiser to roll around town and get better mpg than the busa.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-20-2018, 12:47 AM   #2
Vegas Street Rider

Good luck with your cruiser. I have the '09 but mine was mint when I bought it used and I have been able to keep it that way with minimal maintenance. They don't have the high quality fit and finish that the higher end bikes do, but I have to say I love the classic cruiser look and the simplicity from a maintenance standpoint. For my particular use currently, it is the perfect bike.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:54 AM   #3
09GZ250

Well a 250 has plenty of power for me on a cruiser if I want to go fast I take the Hayabusa. If I did get another cruiser it would be be a Yamaha Virago 250 or a Honda Shadow 750 cause I like the vtwin sound. I'm trying to find a exhaust because the stock sounds like a lawnmower to me.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:32 AM   #4
derbydave

Go for it! This is my GZ before and after I restored it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GZ250 Before After.jpg (93.8 KB, 27 views)
Old 07-20-2018, 01:21 PM   #5
09GZ250

Very good job.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:21 AM   #6
Makedon

I got a 2009 that I'm restoring now too. Last it was run 2013, and it is been left in sorry state. I had to clean the carb, had to replace the starter(choke)cable with the valve that goes in to the carb because the spring was all rusted inside the carb, lube all cables, clean all electricals on the starter kill switch side, clean the side stand switch, new battery, new air filter, new spark plug, oil and filter change, rebuild the front brake caliper, flash the brake fluid, clean and lube the chain( and after all that needs a new chain) , I also need to change the fork oil. Now the one problem that I can not figure out is my back marker(running) light, I have tail light and brake light , also have back turn signals but they are not On when running. The one good thing is that I have a parts bike. All the best with your project , I hope it is lot easier than mine. Vlad aka Makedon.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:29 AM   #7
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makedon View Post
I got a 2009 that I'm restoring now too. Last it was run 2013, and it is been left in sorry state. I had to clean the carb, had to replace the starter(choke)cable with the valve that goes in to the carb because the spring was all rusted inside the carb, lube all cables, clean all electricals on the starter kill switch side, clean the side stand switch, new battery, new air filter, new spark plug, oil and filter change, rebuild the front brake caliper, flash the brake fluid, clean and lube the chain( and after all that needs a new chain) , I also need to change the fork oil. Now the one problem that I can not figure out is my back marker(running) light, I have tail light and brake light , also have back turn signals but they are not On when running. The one good thing is that I have a parts bike. All the best with your project , I hope it is lot easier than mine. Vlad aka Makedon.
Answered your other post......They are working properly

Old 07-31-2018, 09:54 AM   #8
Vegas Street Rider

Your rear turn signals are just that. They are not running lights and do not come on when you are running down the road. Just an FYI Makeddon.