Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Other Models/Manufacturers

Old 05-28-2009, 12:39 PM   #11
Easy Rider

Re: 2000 Suzuki Katana 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird
My XS650 is scary fast and I make a point to drive it like it's my GZ.
That's good......up to a point.

(Another lesson learned the hard way....almost).
Years ago, I sold a Honda 350 twin (about as much power as the GZ) and got a Honda Nighthawk 550-4. A WORLD of difference.

While passing anything with the 350 was rare, when you did get the chance you needed to plan WAY ahead, drop back a little, shift down a gear and throw it wide open before ever leaving your lane. In the "old days" that technique with cars was called "6 cylinder" driving.

Now comes a bike with a LOT more power. You do NOT want to use the above method because if you do, you will end up on top of the TRUNK of the car you are trying to pass. In that case, you want to get into the other lane BEFORE you twist on the throttle !!! :skull:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-28-2009, 12:41 PM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbird
drive using the 12 second rule.
12 second rule ?? Let's see.....at 30 mph, that would put you.......in the next COUNTY !! :shocked: :crackup
Old 05-28-2009, 12:51 PM   #13
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
That's good......up to a point.

(Another lesson learned the hard way....almost).
Years ago, I sold a Honda 350 twin (about as much power as the GZ) and got a Honda Nighthawk 550-4. A WORLD of difference.

While passing anything with the 350 was rare, when you did get the chance you needed to plan WAY ahead, drop back a little, shift down a gear and throw it wide open before ever leaving your lane. In the "old days" that technique with cars was called "6 cylinder" driving.

Now comes a bike with a LOT more power. You do NOT want to use the above method because if you do, you will end up on top of the TRUNK of the car you are trying to pass. In that case, you want to get into the other lane BEFORE you twist on the throttle !!! :skull:
Haha, yes! I passed once on my KZ. Whipped out from behind a van going 40 in a 55, cracked the throttle open (didn't even have to downshift) and before I knew it I was brushing 70 as I flew past him. That was pretty fun!

Old 05-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #14
Water Warrior 2

Back in the far far past of my youth I really passed a car with a faster bike and no real experience. A GT750 in third gear will hit an indicated 115 MPH. Was a little iffy getting back on my own side of the road at that speed. A dip in the road unsettled the bike AND rider quite a bit.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:01 PM   #15
roncg41677

Sweet bike Primal! I would've loved a Katana, but my wife wanted something comfortable to ride on. I won't complain anyway :biggrin:

Have lots of fun!
~ Matthew 6:33 ~