Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 10-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #1
7thgear

Looking to buy my first bike - 2006 GZ250 PICS!!

So I have been having a really bad itch to get my ass on a bike lately. I have been researching and I must say that I'm pretty impressed with the Suzuki GZ250. I like the gas mileage, reliability, simplicity, looks, and price of these little bikes. I found a 2006 with 5700 miles on it. Also has a spitfire windshield and saddle bags. They guys is asking $2000 and I'm not sure if that's such a good deal. Any input or advice to a first time bike buyer?

Also, I'm almost 6'2, 175lbs. I've never actually seen one of these in person and I'm a bit worried that they are really small and that I will look too big on it. Any input on this as well?

Here are some pics of the bike:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d102/ ... 050706.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d102/ ... 050712.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d102/ ... 050714.jpg

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #2
blaine

Re: Looking to buy my first bike - 2006 GZ250 PICS!!

Welcome.The G.Z. looks much bigger than 250c.c.I have had people mistake it for a much larger bike.The same displacement bike in a Honda or Yamaha is a lot smaller looking.There are people your height that say they are quite comfortable on the G.Z.The price sounds good to me,but here in Canada bikes tend to sell for a higher price.Good-luck and keep us informed.
:rawk:

Old 10-01-2010, 11:03 PM   #3
dentheman

5700 miles and $2000. A very clean looking bike, but I would also make sure any bike I had for sale was clean. I don't see any dents like the bike was dropped, that is good. Windshield, saddlebag brackets, studded seats and you said saddlebags, nice extras. I would like to take it around the block a couple times, then if happy, I would think about it! If it has original tires, they are due to be changed due to age. I would him-haw around about the tires being old (if they are) to knock $150 off the price. If I bought it, the first thing I would do is check the engine valve adjustments.

I am 5' 11", 230 lbs, and just rode a GZ at the motorcycle course. I think it fit me fine.

OK, I just looked at the photos again, if it really looks that good I would jump on it! The only thing that has me a bit concerned is that those look like the original pattern tires, but I see no wear??? Even the front brake rotor looks like it has never been used. Are you sure the photo is not of the bike when it was new, but after the insignias have been removed? (It is a beauty, though).

My final thought: If the guy added farkles to make the bike look that good, and took care of it to look that good, he probably took good care of it mechanically as well, but you never know..

Old 10-02-2010, 12:16 AM   #4
7thgear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
5700 miles and $2000. A very clean looking bike, but I would also make sure any bike I had for sale was clean. I don't see any dents like the bike was dropped, that is good. Windshield, saddlebag brackets, studded seats and you said saddlebags, nice extras. I would like to take it around the block a couple times, then if happy, I would think about it! If it has original tires, they are due to be changed due to age. I would him-haw around about the tires being old (if they are) to knock $150 off the price. If I bought it, the first thing I would do is check the engine valve adjustments.

I am 5' 11", 230 lbs, and just rode a GZ at the motorcycle course. I think it fit me fine.

OK, I just looked at the photos again, if it really looks that good I would jump on it! The only thing that has me a bit concerned is that those look like the original pattern tires, but I see no wear??? Even the front brake rotor looks like it has never been used. Are you sure the photo is not of the bike when it was new, but after the insignias have been removed? (It is a beauty, though).

My final thought: If the guy added farkles to make the bike look that good, and took care of it to look that good, he probably took good care of it mechanically as well, but you never know..
Yeah I'll find out if the pics are current or not. The saddle bags aren't mounted in these pics so I'm assuming that these pics might be at least a few months old. How much did this thing sell for brand new in 2006? I thought they sold for under $3k brand new? And tires need to be replaced after 4 years?
Old 10-02-2010, 12:42 AM   #5
dentheman

I don't know what the 2006 went for, if you go to the Suzuki motorcycle site you can see what the 2010, 2009 and 2008 went for and figure from there. Just search Suzuki motorcycle.

As far as tires go, I know they should be changed every few years, but don't remember how often and couldn't find it in the search. I'm sure someone will fill you in here.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:51 AM   #6
7thgear

well the MSRP was $3199. So you figure a dealer will let it go for around $2600-$2800. So 4 years later and it's selling for $2000? Kinda seems like it would be better to just buy one brand new.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:03 AM   #7
dentheman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear
well the MSRP was $3199. So you figure a dealer will let it go for around $2600-$2800. So 4 years later and it's selling for $2000? Kinda seems like it would be better to just buy one brand new.
I looked at the photos one more time, it looks like the tank and side cover are dinged on the left side.

EDIT: After looking at the photos again, I can't tell if those are dings or reflections.
Old 10-02-2010, 01:10 AM   #8
7thgear

Thanks for pointing it out. Can anyone else tell me if this is a worthwhile deal or would it be better to just buy one brand new?
Old 10-02-2010, 11:15 AM   #9
duosport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thgear
Thanks for pointing it out. Can anyone else tell me if this is a worthwhile deal or would it be better to just buy one brand new?
You can find that year with less miles. The price is OK in my opinion but if there is some damage as has been suggested I would say you certainly need to look it over to see if it has been laid down. If so I would think a significant reduction in price is in order.

As far as size and rider height goes, I am 6'-1" and 190 lbs. I am comfortable on mine. The position of the rear brake pedal is my only issue. I lower it a bunch as my height makes that angle flat.

The big thing is you have not seen this bike yet. Go look at it. You do not need to buy to look.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
dentheman

Take duosport's advice and look at the bike. See if those actually are dings on the left side, or just reflections (I can't tell from the photos). The owner is probably prepared to go down a couple hundred on the price, most will overprice a little to give them some room to wrangle over the price they really will sell for.