Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 07-02-2008, 02:29 AM   #1
afflo

GZ250 vs VStar/Virago 250 vs Ninja250

I know that this place will naturally be biased towards the GZ250, but what are the relative advantages and disadvantages of the GZ250 relative to the other two? Aside from price, of course... in this range, price isn't really that big a concern, ya know?

What are reasons that one would choose a GZ250 over the other two, aside from external variables (what they had in stock, salesman was a jerk, etc.)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-02-2008, 07:50 AM   #2
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal
For me, it was a real toss up between the GZ250 and the Ninja 250. I really liked both bikes; the GZ250 looks like a bigger bike than any of the other 250 cruisers, and the Ninja has superior performance while still having comparable gas mileage. When it came right down to it, you just can't find any Ninja 250s around here, either at dealerships OR on the used market. People are snatching up 250cc bikes like crazy, and the Ninjas are extremely popular.

The GZ250's simple design is definitely an advantage when you are doing your own maintenance. A single cylinder means a single carb, and no carb syncing. I especially like the design of the oil pan... I stripped the threads of my oil pan, and the oil drain plug conveniently bolts into its own cap. So, for $30 (the price you'd pay for a helicoil repair kit) shipped I got a whole new oil cap, o-ring, and oil plug.

That's just one example. I haven't had my bike long enough to comment on any long term advantages.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:14 AM   #3
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

The Ninja comes with a centerstand, which you can't find on any of the 250 cruisers, and that makes rear end maintenance a lot easier.

The Gz, as primal noted, is a much simpler machine and requires less maintenance. The SOHC means that valve adjustments are pretty simple and straightforward. The ability to access the carb on the GZ is also easier, becuase it simply be turned sideways while on the bike, if you get into jetting or that sort of thing.

For the money, you definately get more bells and whistles with the Ninja. It really boils down to what you want and knowing what you'll use it for.

If you want a solid, all around machine, with little hassel, get the GZ.
If you want a solid, nimble, faster highway bike with more standard equipment, get the Ninja.

Old 07-02-2008, 09:04 AM   #4
LilNinja77

Hmm, as a Ninja owner, I may be biased as well; but I'll give it a shot too.

Really, in the end, it all boils down to what kind of bike you want and what kind of riding you want to do.....do you want a small cruiser or a small sportbike? I grew up around Harleys and other cruisers, so I was always "in" to the whole cruiser thing. But when it came time to choose a first motorcycle, I had to really ask myself what I wanted out a motorcycle. Lightweight and easy to handle, good gas mileage, versatility (occasional off-road jaunts, back-road twisties, or highway touring), enough power to have fun with but not so much that I'd feel like speeding every time I ride.......and most of all, a comfortable ride.

Well the Virago was immediately out of the question due to those stupid handle-bars that I couldn't even turn without hitting my knees.

The GZ had been a blast when taking the MSF course, so it was high up there on my list of "maybe's". The biggest negative I was considering was the seating position, I have a bad lower-back and couldnt sit on the GZ for more than a couple minutes without pain.

The EX250F (Ninja) had everything I was looking for, and then some. 6 speed transmission, liquid cooling, standard tachometer and temperature gauge, center stand, front and rear disk brakes.....it was just (in my eyes) a far superior motorcycle for the money. After sitting on it, there was no way I could buy any other motorcycle. The riding position is intuitive and inspires control, while not putting weight on your wrists, and my lower back didn't hurt at all (still doesn't, even after 200+ mile days).

To me, the Ninja is still the superior machine, but like Primal said......they are some hard buggers to get a hold of these days! The redesigned 08 model really ramped up interest in them and this summer they've been selling like hotcakes. I enjoy doing my own maintenance, and to me none of it has been difficult or tedious; but simpler is always better so I give the GZ the upper hand to that. But, in exchange for that higher maintenance you have a much higher-performance engine. You get a liquid cooled parallel twin motor that's smooth and will easily take you up to (and over) any legal speed limits in the U.S. If the GZ and Virago are starter bikes that many people outgrow, the Ninja is a bike that happens to be nice to start with, but you won't outgrow for a long long time (unless you're only interested in speeding, which seems to be the case with so many people these days)

Now days though, I barely ride the Ninja, due to my knee problems. The seating position that I loved so much has turned in to the achilles heel because of my knee. I fear I may end up having to give up motorcycles for a while in the near future, as I'll be going back through the healthcare system and probably rendered unable to ride.........sigh, again (already been through this once). I don't know for sure, but I imagine the riding position on the GZ would be better for me these days.

SOOOOO:
GZ: Dirt simple maintenance, very high gas mileage, easy to handle and learn to ride on

Ninja: More capable and complex motor which requries more maintenance, high (but not as good as GZ) gas mileage.......I average 50-60 mpg in mixed riding, easy to handle and learn on but a lot easier for a newbie to mess up on, a lot more standard features/equipment but also frequently more expensive.

I've ridden my Ninja as a sportbike, as a touring bike, and as a dual sport. For the price of a couple tanks of gas I've rigged up luggage that allows me to carry way more than I would ever need (24 gallons of storage space enough for you?). I've done all my own maintenance and loved every second of it. Given the chance, I'm sure my experience with the GZ250 would be the same.....including the luggage, I'd love to fab-up a pair of Action Packer saddle-bags for the GZ :2tup: They are both great bikes, but different for sure. One is a little cruiser, one is a little sportbike; apples and oranges, but both are awesome.
Just my .02
Ride safe

~By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only~
Old 07-02-2008, 09:34 AM   #5
Easy Rider

Re: GZ250 vs VStar/Virago 250 vs Ninja250

Quote:
Originally Posted by afflo
What are reasons that one would choose a GZ250 over the other two, aside from external variables (what they had in stock, salesman was a jerk, etc.)
I got mine because..........the dealer had one in stock (used)!
Actually a 5 min. test drive sealed the deal.

The GZ looks bigger than it is. It has a bigger gas tank than the others. It has a bigger front tire, which should result in slightly better traction.

HOWEVER, the bike that's right for me may not be right for YOU. In the end, the right one for you is the one that fits you the best. Test ride if you can........and you often can even if they "don't"........if you appear serious, have the proper license and arrive on a bike.

Old 07-02-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
LilNinja77

Quote:
It has a bigger gas tank than the others
What size tank is it? The Ninja has a 4.8 gallon tank.
Ride safe

Old 07-02-2008, 12:51 PM   #7
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

3.7 gallons, including reserve

The California model is a bit smaller.
Old 07-02-2008, 12:57 PM   #8
Sarris

Tank Size

I think he means bigger LOOKING!

Old 07-02-2008, 04:46 PM   #9
Easy Rider

Re: Tank Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
I think he means bigger LOOKING!
No, I meant bigger than the other small cruisers.
I tend to not think of the Ninja as being in the same category.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:59 PM   #10
LilNinja77

Oh, sorry, I didn't know you were only referring to the little cruisers in your post.....in that case, then I imagine the GZ does have the largest tank. Wait, anyone know what size tank is on the Vento Colt? Man, I'd love to try one of those things out. Somewhere I have an issue of Metric Roadbike where they did an article/test ride and it got a pretty positive review.
Ride safe