Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 05-02-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
Thorag

How many miles till the engines dies

I know there is a similar thread started today, but I find this question more interesting. I know there are a lot of stuff influencing that, but you could name that to.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-03-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: How many miles till the engines dies

There isn't a set number of miles.

I mean, it all depends on the type of miles the bike produced.... Interstate or stop-n-go?
What kind of terrain? Hilly or flat?
What kind of maintenance? Strict or occasional?

Just like with a car, no two responses are ever going to be the same.

Under extreme conditions, small engines aren't going to last very long. You can prolong that life with good care and maintenance. But everything breaks down over time.

Also, when exactly a rebuild is needed is going to vary by person. If you're a stickler for clearances and things, then you'll do a rebuild much earlier than a guy who rides his leaking bike and keeps pouring in a quart of oil every single day just to keep it on the road.

It might be 25,000.... It might be 50,000.... It might 100,000. If you never did any maintenance at all, it could be as little as 8,000. Who know?
Old 05-03-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Thorag

The problem is that I don't have the money to buy new. So the I can't influence what the previous owner has done. I somehow can make sure he maintained it well, but I have no way of telling if he red-lined it all the time.

People who take the time to register for this forum are probably not the ones who neglect their bikes. But I heard of a couple who killed their engines, and I'd like to know how many miles they had and what they believed was the reason for the engine failure. I know this is kinda like asking how long a string is. But if 20 people tell me a string is between 15 and 20 meters, I am pretty confident that the string I end up with isn't 5 meters, even though that is still possible

Old 05-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I would love to feel like you could trust whoever was selling you the bike, but the sad truth is that you can't.
People sell all kinds of crap now-a-days.

The good news is that the GZ isn't the kind of bike to appeal to the first time, 17 year old, buyer who just can't wait to hop on the interstate with his Sportbike buddies and redline the crap out of it. Even at redline with the standard sprocket on this bike, it's only going go about 75-80mph.

Most people who purchse a GZ are either older, and they have experience under them, or they are ladies or middle-aged men who want to dabble in the art of motorcycling. The GZ was basically built for that purpose and it inspires great confidence in the new rider. That's why you so many buyers in that bracket.

So, you have a pretty good chance of the bike at least being in relatively good shape. It just depends on the seller. What kind of a person is her?

Look around the base of the exhaust pipes where the exit the header. You'll have some discoloration but you shouldn't have any soot coming out there. Also check and see if the airbox has been fiddled with. Check the main center seam that runs down the center of the case and see if it's seeping oil form there. Make sure the headlight gets a bit brighter as you rev the bike up and that's really all the major stuff that could be checked without taking it all apart. You'll know based on sound if the valves are whacked and you'll know by test ride if the clutch is shot. Everything else would be considered a minor fix anyway.

Keep us posted.
Old 05-03-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
Thorag

Awesome reply, thank you! Even though it kinda hurts that I fall more in the middle aged men crowd then the hot-blooded teenager.

Old 05-03-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
minieggroll

lol middle aged..... I'm 22..... does that count heh
Old 05-03-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by minieggroll
Oh my, you could be the grandchild I never had..........................................Ack.. ......I've fallen and I can't get up.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #8
Thorag

Quote:
Originally Posted by minieggroll
I'm 31, so everyone in their twenties is basicly a toddler. You are hereby disqualified.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
Skunkhome

I'd say 45 and under are youngsters.
Old 05-03-2012, 11:11 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Yahoo, my liver spots are youngsters. :lol: