Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 12-01-2007, 10:56 AM   #11
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
I wonder if the GZ will only benefit with a 16T if a smaller lighter rider is on board ?? Any comments ??
Yes and no, it depends.

IMHO:
With a 16T front, it makes 5th gear (even more) an overdrive. This is only a problem if you use 5th gear in a stressful situation, like uphill, with a heavy load or at high speed. So..........if your riding habits are such that you seldom (try to) use 5th gear under one of those stressful conditions, then you should be OK.

More specific to your question: A heavy load should not be a problem ***IF*** most of your riding is on streets and roads that are flat and have a speed limit of 55 or less.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 12-01-2007, 02:07 PM   #12
Water Warrior 2

I had thought about a 16T on Happy Hobo's GZ but it runs so well here in the twists and mountains I think it would be counter productive. It does seem to be geared well for this terrain and can accelerate well past 60 MPH uphill in 4th. I guess if it ain't broke I won't fix it. Besides, she said "NO". lol.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #13
Rudeboy

suzuki Noob

Being a Suzuki Noob this might seem like a stupid question.
but going from a final drive ratio of 2.73 to a ratio of 2.56 seems like big jump for a small displacement bike.
would it make more sense to change the front and rear sprockets at the same time to something like 16/42 for a final ratio of 2.62, or to 15/40 for a final ratio of 2.66?
and shouldn't the weight of the rider have a large impact on what that bike will be able to do at those ratios.?
Orangeville, Ontario.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:04 PM   #14
Easy Rider

Re: suzuki Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboy
would it make more sense to change the front and rear sprockets at the same time to something like 16/42 for a final ratio of 2.62, or to 15/40 for a final ratio of 2.66?
and shouldn't the weight of the rider have a large impact on what that bike will be able to do at those ratios.?
Total weight and wind resistance are both signigicant factors.

As for the final ratio: It depends on your objective, as well as your circumstances. My objective (which I believe is representative of most riders of the GZ) was to improve the ride-ability below 55 mph......with a minimum of hassle and expense. For me (small person, not much highway riding and NO Interstate) it worked out perfectly. For others, it may not.

If you go back and review the threads here, I "think" all of my posts included a caution that it may not be appropriate for: Large riders, two-up or lots of freeway use. I still think that is true.

It also may not be appropriate for a rider who thinks the GZ is a sport bike instead of a cruiser !!
Old 04-30-2008, 12:54 PM   #15
trykemike

16 t sprocket

Hey rudeboy

you are correct that by raising the gear ratio you will add more load to the machine and maybe exceed it's pulling capability.

I also have a 250 hoda 3 wheeler that although it has very low gearing has seemingly much more pull than the marauder 250. That is all as you indicate as a result of gearing.

If you have more power then decreasing the gear ratio makes sense for more top speed etc.