Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Performance

Old 06-18-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
El Diablo

15 T vs 16 T

Pretty new here so excuse the newbie question. Have read a lot of comments here concerning 15T vs 16T and wanted to know exactly what that does for you? Does replacing the stock sprocket give you more top end at the expense of less torque at the bottom end? How much difference does it make on both ends of the spectrum? If it is so great of a difference why doesn't Suzuki change the stock part?

:??:

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-18-2008, 11:35 AM   #2
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
They build the bikes to THEIR specs. Thats why there is such a thing as aftermarket parts.

Changing the sprocket changes the RPM range. What it does is lowers the RPMs through the gears. You can lay on the throttle longer between shifts and it also lowers the RPM at highway speed so the bike doesnt seem to be screaming at high RPMs.

Its a great mod, although i hadn't done it to my GZ, i did a rear sprocket change on my Shadow. 41T down to a 37T. What an amazing difference. I could kick myself for not doing it sooner. Of course my sprocket change is way more drastic than the GZ sprocket change ... theres a benefit either way you look at it.

Top speed, you probably won't notice much difference. Its all in shifting RPMs and lower RPM at highway speeds.

I encourage you to do the mod. You won't regret it.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 06-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
Easy Rider

Re: 15 T vs 16 T

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo
Pretty new here so excuse the newbie question. Have read a lot of comments here concerning 15T vs 16T and wanted to know exactly what that does for you?
You read ALL the messages posted here about that and you STILL have to ask ?? I thought we had pretty well covered every possible aspect of the subject. :roll:

Your assumption about top end vs torque at the low end would be right........except the little engine doesn't have the raw HP to gain anything on the top end; in fact, you probably lose a little bit.

Dupo is right on. A few situations, however, where you probably don't want to change.....because of the HP deficiency at the top end: You are a VERY big person ~300 pounds. You ride 2 up a lot where the total is 300 or more; same if you travel with heavy gear. You NEED to ride on freeways or interstates. You live in an area where there are a LOT of steep hills. If any of those describes YOU, then you probably want to leave it alone because a 16T front makes it a little more "sluggish" in top gear.

ALL of this, and more, is already on here in other message threads. Maybe you should search again ??

Old 06-18-2008, 02:11 PM   #4
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

I like you Diablo. Nothing personal.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
El Diablo

See my sign to left - Newbie. :drool:

:oops: Hang with me, I'll get up to cruising speed eventually.

"If there are no dogs in heaven, then I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers

Old 06-18-2008, 05:58 PM   #6
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Diablo
See my sign to left - Newbie. :drool:

:oops: Hang with me, I'll get up to cruising speed eventually.
Not on a 16T sprocket you won't!