Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 05-27-2015, 02:05 PM   #1
seohio250gz

06 gz

I bought an '06 GZ250 with 2k miles on it from a girl at work. It sat for 3 years and once got it fired up it would idle fine but wouldn't take any gas. I put new gas and seafoam in it and it runs great now but still will not run with the choke all the way off. It's ok at speed with the choke off but dies when stopping. I have put around 25 miles on it since getting my permit last week. It's my first street bike and is a blast but learning to ride and keeping it running when stopped is nuts. I could learn better if I didn't have to keep it running. Could the idle speed be too low or maybe the seafoam needs a little longer to work?

P.S. I am new to the forum and new to bikes but feel like I got a great beginners bike. Great forum.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-27-2015, 09:25 PM   #2
blaine

WElcome....The SeaFoam may need a little longer to work.Your idle circuit is plugged if the SeaFoam don't work you will need to remove the carb for a good cleaning.

Old 05-28-2015, 04:45 AM   #3
alantf

Yes, check your idle speed. When the engine is HOT, turn the big white knob, under the carb, to give you 1200 - 1400 RPM idle. That's a lot higher than a car's idle speed, so some folk, who don't know any better, set it too low. Once you've set it high, and got used to it, you can tweak it to your personal taste.

Old 05-31-2015, 08:28 PM   #4
spldart

Well crap. I got mine at about 1000 rpm. Didn't realize it was supposed to be faster.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:15 AM   #5
seohio250gz

I have ridden it a lot lately and still have to use the choke. It kinda surges when letting off the throttle and it will still run only with at least half choke. I want to clean the carb but how do i know how far each jet should be screwed in after removing them to clean?

Old 06-02-2015, 07:42 AM   #6
blaine

The only adjustable jet is the idle mixture screw.It should be set to 2 1/2 turns out & set for best idle with bike running warmed up with choke off.

Old 06-02-2015, 01:53 PM   #7
seohio250gz

So i can just remove em all,clean then they just screw all the way back in except the idle mixture? Thanks for the quick reply. I love the bike but hate taking it out and having to leave the choke partially on.
Old 06-02-2015, 02:23 PM   #8
spldart

I'm just curious.
To clarify...
Did you take off the fuel bowl. See 3 bronze colored screws *jets* clustered together towards the center under the main body of the carb. Unscrew them. Clean out all the little wholes on those three bronze colored screws *jets*. (two have quite tiny little holes) Then screw them back in firmly but not over tighten. ???
The tiny holed screws *jets* are idle/pilot type circuits. The big hole screw is your main circuit.

When I did my carb *bike wouldn't start* the two with tiny holes were the problems. One partial clog and one completely clogged.

Caveats!
Work somewhere you can find a small part if one falls off the carb. Driveway ground is not the best place.
Take notes if your worried you wont get the carb back together right. I find if I am dissassembling something complicated that some good pictures as you go on your digi cam or phone can be great notes for getting everything back the way it was. Take as many as you think you might need to get it right.
Generally this carb is real simple and in my opinion very reliable as long as you don't put it up for the winter wet.

Last edited by spldart; 06-02-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:28 PM   #9
seohio250gz

I just took the carb off, took off the 4 stubborn screws holding the float bowl and everything was badly tarnished.I soaked the jets and the fuel bowl for about 10 minutes in Pinesol while I ran to get allen head screws for the bowl. The pilot jet was completely clogged but after a soak and clean and reassembly, the bike is running great. No backfire, no sluggishness and no choke even to start it. Thanks to all who replied and thanks for an old post about using Pinesol. The power of Pinesol baby.

great forum.
Old 06-02-2015, 10:40 PM   #10
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by seohio250gz View Post
I just took the carb off, took off the 4 stubborn screws holding the float bowl and everything was badly tarnished.I soaked the jets and the fuel bowl for about 10 minutes in Pinesol while I ran to get allen head screws for the bowl. The pilot jet was completely clogged but after a soak and clean and reassembly, the bike is running great. No backfire, no sluggishness and no choke even to start it. Thanks to all who replied and thanks for an old post about using Pinesol. The power of Pinesol baby.

great forum.
I can see your grin from here. Ride safe, ride often.