Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General GZ250 Talk

Old 05-28-2015, 11:28 AM   #11
gz250dude

I've had some lengthy discussions with two mechanics I trust alot and I am glad I did. He said 70mph is not going to destroy this motor but rather will kill the mpg's some. He said the rev limit shows 9000 in his manual and 70mph is more than 1500 rpm's away from this point. Both of these guys confirmed that the bigger concern is the stop n go traffic in the afternoon. Going home is when I am less rushed to get there so I am going to take some state highways I've found recently to avoid all the traffic and they are actually only 8 miles further but have been saving my mental sanity in the afternoons LOL.... As far as the higher speeds he basically said it would be nice to change the oil more frequently and NEVER ignore the valve adjustment interval if I run it harder. But I never do that to any of my bikes anyway so that's no issue. I am going to change the oil every 2000 miles, filter every other time and be the one to find out just how much she can take. I can't believe I've already put 3700 miles on it, but then again I put 520 on it last weekend in the mountains of NC :-)

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-28-2015, 08:32 PM   #12
spldart

This thread makes me wonder...

I have heard mechanics and old timers tell me the drawbacks of using to many
revs and to much throttle on a smaller motor as opposed to less on a bigger.

I'm using my bike as a commuter.
I've split my 45 miles a day up in order to keep from having the bike non stop
at freeway speeds.

First few miles are surface streets. Max 40 mph * nice and easy *
Then 7 miles between 55 to 60 mph. * I intentionally keep it under 60 *
Then another 4 or 5 at about 40 mph. * again. Nice and easy *
Then the last 5 or so at 55 to 60 mph. * again. Intentionally no higher than 60 *

Heading home is the reverse.

Pretty much never at WOT.

Is that something this bike can live with for a while?
Or am I gunna burn rings and sink valves into seats doin this?
Old 05-29-2015, 04:18 AM   #13
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spldart View Post
This thread makes me wonder...

I have heard mechanics and old timers tell me the drawbacks of using to many
revs and to much throttle on a smaller motor as opposed to less on a bigger.

I'm using my bike as a commuter.
I've split my 45 miles a day up in order to keep from having the bike non stop
at freeway speeds.

First few miles are surface streets. Max 40 mph * nice and easy *
Then 7 miles between 55 to 60 mph. * I intentionally keep it under 60 *
Then another 4 or 5 at about 40 mph. * again. Nice and easy *
Then the last 5 or so at 55 to 60 mph. * again. Intentionally no higher than 60 *

Heading home is the reverse.

Pretty much never at WOT.

Is that something this bike can live with for a while?
Or am I gunna burn rings and sink valves into seats doin this?

With regular servicing your bike should last until you are sick of looking at it.

Something you can do to extend tire life for commuting is adjust the air pressure. Set both ends about 2 psi over the 2-up figures on the sticker. It will still handle well and brake well.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:42 AM   #14
blaine

I rode my G.Z. for 3 seasons & 35000 Km.When I sold it showed 48000 on the clock.That was in 2010.A woman bought it & it is still running fine today.

Old 05-29-2015, 03:00 PM   #15
gz250dude

Yep he basically said this bike doesn't have the HP to run itself at self destruct speeds LOL....

He told me to be-careful in to much walking speed traffic in extreme heat though.

Old 05-29-2015, 07:25 PM   #16
spldart

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz250dude View Post
Yep he basically said this bike doesn't have the HP to run itself at self destruct speeds LOL....

He told me to be-careful in to much walking speed traffic in extreme heat though.
Now that may become an issue for me :~(
But I did know that air cooled engines do have issues with bumper traffic on a hot
summer.
Old 05-29-2015, 11:38 PM   #17
Water Warrior 2

Air cooled bikes have a fine line with cooling and heating issues. The cylinder fins must remove/radiate heat but must also let the engine warm up from a cold start condition.
Never had a problem with my 1988 KDX 200. Large fins to radiate heat during low speed gruelling trails in the warmest of days. My friend had a 1988 Yamaha DT 200 with liquid cooling. It wouldn't cool at low speeds and would overheat, overflow the coolant recovery system and loose all it's coolant. He bought a small fan for it and I installed it for him. Switch for off and on. Simple and effective. The temp guage would still get into the warm zone but amazingly would cool off to operating temp within a minute of idling at the end of a climb.
Old 06-02-2015, 09:23 AM   #18
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Adding a small oil cooler to your bike would not only increase overall oil capacity but it would also help keep some of the temps down... Just a thought.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:10 AM   #19
gz250dude

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq View Post
Adding a small oil cooler to your bike would not only increase overall oil capacity but it would also help keep some of the temps down... Just a thought.
I like the idea of that honestly, I wonder how hard this would be to do on the GZ? I'll have to research it.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:44 AM   #20
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gz250dude View Post
I like the idea of that honestly, I wonder how hard this would be to do on the GZ? I'll have to research it.
It's not that bad. I know there is one someone on the forum, but to be honest it was posted so long that I don't even know where to begin looking...

You can find one specific to the GZs oil fill hole thread, which would be your return line. The bottom feed line, form what I remember is a port that you have to make out of the crankcase. That's the hardest part, from what little I remember. But with the right size hole all of the parts after that are just a matter of mounting and then refilling with extra oil.

You'll have to do some more research obviously. But adding oil coolers to air cooled bikes is very common in the bike world so there should be plenty of info for you to find.