Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 07-31-2008, 03:37 PM   #41
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Re: Atlanta

[quote=Easy Rider]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Easy Rider":3bjjcdb4
Bike is fine, I think. It just developed a slight oil leak near the top.
Well, it looks like the guy in Indiana was right after all.
After removing the tank and doing a thorough inspection, the roasted brown stuff on the fins appears to be "shipping lube"; not a leak at all. It was there all along and only turned brown after a long, hot ride.

[/quote:3bjjcdb4]

I must have missed this whole part of the coversation.

I had the same thing on my bike not 2-3 weeks ago. I, like you, was worried that I had developed some kind of crazy head gasket leak. I spent a good 5 minutes cleaning it off the last time I washed my bike and it hasn't come back.

I know I'm now irrelevant but I can't stop typing.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-01-2008, 08:56 PM   #42
rusty rider

Easy don't know if you'll get this or not, but if you do call me when your close to Terre Haute, and I'll meet up with you and ride along for a while. Have a safe trip. :cool: (no question mark)
Old 08-03-2008, 05:53 PM   #43
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty rider
I'll meet up with you and ride along for a while.
I got it and I planned to do that. Alas, we both messed up.
I printed out your message with phone numbers in it.
Unfortunately, I didn't look at it closely until today.
Both numbers were the SAME; the one for work and they said "He's not here today."
Sometimes it's the little things that matter. See my lesson learned for more!

Old 08-14-2008, 11:37 AM   #44
Easy Rider

Quick summary and appology

Sorry this took so long. Been trying to catch up with "stuff" from being gone two weeks.
The trip was GREAT. Heat was a little problem. Learned to start early and quit about 1pm.
Seat was a little problem, even with the gel pad. Had to stop every 40 minutes or so and stretch (and drink!).

Except for the "false alarm" with a non-existent oil leak and the strap caught in the rear sprocket, the bike performed flawlessly. Got about 72 mpg for the trip overall. That's with a 16T front sprocket and averaging about 55 mph on 2-lane roads.

With about 5K miles now the bike seems to run a little bit better......as others have reported. On a relatively flat stretch of road with no signigicant head wind, I can make 65 pretty easy and can get 70 but it takes a LONG time. I no longer feel as apprehensive about Interstates as I once did. I would still NOT get on a freeway in a major city (were people drive like idiots) nor would I venture out on some of the "long haul" roads also known for excess speed (I-80, I-70) but most rural Interstates should be OK (in the absence of a strong head wind or mountains).

Glad I got to meet John in Kennesaw. I do like that reddish shade of black!!
Sorry I missed Rusty Rider and Jonathan. Maybe next time.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:02 AM   #45
Sarris

The Seat From Hell

Yo ER;

It sounds like from your most recent posts, that the seat re-do hasn't quite met your (probably high) expectations. Exactly what did you have done?? Do you have any recommendations or additional insight on it before I have mine redone?? How may miles before the sore ass vs. miles vs. time ridden factor kicks in?? Details!! Cost??
:??:

Also..... pictures?? :whistle:

Old 08-15-2008, 01:04 PM   #46
Easy Rider

Re: The Seat From Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarris
Also..... pictures?? :whistle:
Yea, I know!!! Still testing.

I'm sure that you would not be able to tell the difference right now......because there isn't much.
He scooped out the "main contact" point a bit but didn't trim the back any so as I sit down in the slight indention, it pushes me forward.......and I still have that pressure strip that roughly matches the tail bone end. Tried it yesterday with the gel pad and think it is actually worse.

So......gotta take it back to see if he can make a little adjustment. I now get the feeling that he isn't a good a "seat mechanic" as he claimed to be.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:33 PM   #47
rusty rider

The best thing that I have done to my seat was to cut the back lip off, and level the cushioning out front to back. I raised the front and ran the cushion straight back. It isn't perfect, but it is much better. No tail bone pain at all, and takes a lot longer for my cheeks to turn red. :blush:
Old 08-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #48
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty rider
The best thing that I have done to my seat was to cut the back lip off, and level the cushioning out front to back. I raised the front and ran the cushion straight back.
My "new" one is back in the shop doing something similar. When he "scooped" mine out, it resulted in an even larger back lip. That slid me forward and moved the pressure point just a tad. So now he is going to gut the lip and put some softer foam in there.