Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 04-07-2009, 10:35 PM   #1
JWR

Draggin pegs at the Dragon

The Batman and I toke a nice 150 mile ride Sunday.

Yes, the pegs and boots will get worn down while chasing a 1200 CC sportbike.

Truth is there are lots of great bikes available
and not nearly as many good riders out there riding them...
"A man's got to know his limitations..."

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-07-2009, 10:50 PM   #2
Easy Rider

Re: Draggin pegs at the Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWR

Yes, the pegs and boots will get worn down while chasing a 1200 CC sportbike.
The above picture is a good example of something I have mentioned on here (a couple of times, I think) before. If the rider would lean HIS weight more (toward the inside of the curve), the bike would lean LESS......and the parts would drag less often. :cool:

This is something you don't get to practice in "school" so one must work on the proper technique on your own. Watch a GP race or two for an extreme example of the technique.

I had that bad habit for at least 10 years of my 40+ years of riding. It is a hard habit to break after doing it wrong for that long. While not really important for less drastic curves, doing it wrong on the easy turns will result in a habit that will unconsciously carry over to the tight curves too.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
JWR

With the location of the foot pegs it's hard to get more "off the seat".

Old 04-07-2009, 11:16 PM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWR
With the location of the foot pegs it's hard to get more "off the seat".
Shifting your rear is only one way to shift your weight......and it doesn't take much.

If you look at the picture, and draw a line up the center of the rear tire, I think it would come pretty close to your LEFT shoulder; it should come closer to your RIGHT shoulder in a tight left turn. Just that difference in upper body lean will make a BIG difference; anticipating the curve and shifting your tush on the seat just a bit will help even more.

The peg position on the GZ pretty much precludes dragging your inside knee.......and that's probably a good thing !!
Old 04-07-2009, 11:41 PM   #5
JWR

Go back and look at the first picture. How many times would you shift your weight at 35 to 55 mph? There are 318 curves in 11 miles, with complete switchbacks.

Better yet, when you come down for the NASCAR race, drop by and show me how it is done.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:02 AM   #6
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWR
How many times would you shift your weight at 35 to 55 mph? There are 318 curves in 11 miles, with complete switchbacks.
I TRY to do it all the time, to varying degrees dependent on speed BECAUSE if you don't get into the habit you end up scrapping the pegs and other parts when it is NOT necessary.

While it may sound "cool" to say "I scrapped the pegs", it really isn't cool because it can be downright dangerous.

The number of curves says nothing about whether or not it is desirable to lean the RIGHT way.

The more curves and the tighter that they are makes it even more important to be using the correct riding technique. Leaning your body toward the outside of the bikes vertical axis is NEVER the proper technique........unless you are stunting and doing it to make sparks on purpose.

Bottom line: I really don't give a crap HOW you ride; it's your bike and your skin. You don't have to take my word for what the proper cornering technique is. If you care at all, look it up somewhere else. Ask an MSF instructor or check some of the good reference books mentioned here. I am not eating your ass out just for the fun of it, I am trying to be helpful......really.
Take it or leave it, as you see fit.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:08 AM   #7
mr. softie

The pegs on the GZ are so close to the ground to begin with I found myself dragging my feet all the time on twisty roads. Usually my heels would drag first. With the GL650 my feet are way up in the air to start with and I haven't even come close to dragging anything even though I am riding the same roads 10mph faster.

I am going to try to come down to a camp out at TWO later this month (the 24th and 25th I think) and can't wait to get back on those mountain roads. Might make it to Deals Gap even.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:18 AM   #8
JWR

You must be off your meds MR.Always Right.

I posted the pictures for all to see some of the great riding areas the we have.

Opinions and assholes, I did not ask for one, but got the other.

Now come on down and we will go riding...

Old 04-08-2009, 12:20 AM   #9
alanmcorcoran

Question for you more experienced riders...

All this chitchat about dragging the pegs brought to mind something (I think) I've been experiencing on both bikes lately: I am, after about 5300 or so miles, starting to lean the bike over more than I did before, and, of course, I can make tighter turns at higher speeds. I also have noticed I lean both bikes more now at low speed too, like making a right turn, for instance.

Is leaning the bike more aggressively just something that comes with time? There's a curve on the 91 freeway near me that is kind of rough surface-wise. I distinctly remember slowing down to 50 on it early on, (possibly because I was afraid of leaning the bike over too far on a rough surface.) Now, if I think and lean and am a teensy aggressive (looking ahead, as well) I can do it at 70+, no prob.

When I went out on the Ortega Highway (kind of twisty) with Moedad and OC Hoosier they had to slow down for me because I was pretty timid in the curves. I haven't been back out that way for a while, but I'm wondering if I'd be a little quicker just with the passage of time. (It's not something I have specifically set out to practice, I just seem to have got more comfortable leaning the things over.)

Thoughts?
Old 04-08-2009, 12:24 AM   #10
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWR
Now come on down and we will go riding...
Not likely, Mr. Attitude.