Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 01-07-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
dhgeyer

Winter Riding in New Hampshire

Did an 80 mile ride on the Beemer today. Left about 10:40, got back about 1:55. It was 30 degrees when I left, and as I went North and West it stayed about the same till I started back. The roads were mostly clear, with only a few slick spots to dodge. I stuck to 2 lane designated routes (no back roads). Our driveway is still quite icy, so the 50 feet out to the street was the trickiest part. Anyway, my electric gear and heated grips kept me warm for the most part.

The last time the roads were clear enough to ride was December 20th. It's been snowing every few days since then, including a couple of significant storms. I wanted to get at least one ride in January, and it looked like today was the day. If there's a lot of snow around, I think I like it better if it's around or below freezing. If it gets too warm the snow beside the road melts and the roads get wet. If the roads are dry, the salt doesn't get on the bike too much, and doesn't really hurt anything as long as it stays dry. I can then rinse it down at my leisure instead of having to do a thorough spraying as soon as I get back.

Anyway, the Sun was shining the whole time, and I had a great ride. And man-o-man I sure needed it!

I apologize for the picture quality. I didn't think to take my camera, so these were taken with my phone.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 01-07-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
bonehead

Re: Winter Riding in New Hampshire

No thanks! My old body could'nt take it.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
dhgeyer

Hey bonehead - I've been thinking about heading South for a week or two to get away from all this. What's it like down your way these days? I've heard the South is pretty cold lately. I've never been to Texas and thought it would be cool to do a road trip there this Winter. Sue and Rachael want to go to Florida, but that doesn't excite me at all.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #4
bonehead

Right now it is 32f with 30mph winds, gusting to 45mph. The house is the best place to be right now.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:31 PM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
Sue and Rachael want to go to Florida, but that doesn't excite me at all.
Looks like I'll be going to the Daytona area the week BEFORE the 500.....about 2/08.....for some dirt track racing. Alas, I won't be on the bike.......oh, and I won't be doing the racing either. :cool:

Old 01-07-2010, 06:10 PM   #6
dhgeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead
Right now it is 32f with 30mph winds, gusting to 45mph. The house is the best place to be right now.
Geeeeeez - I might as well stay here!
Old 01-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #7
dhgeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Looks like I'll be going to the Daytona area the week BEFORE the 500.....about 2/08.....for some dirt track racing. Alas, I won't be on the bike.......oh, and I won't be doing the racing either. :cool:
Daytona might be fun. I hadn't thought of that. Unfortunately January is going to work better for me than February for travel.

So, your dirt bike is out of action????
Old 01-08-2010, 09:19 AM   #8
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhgeyer
So, your dirt bike is out of action????
Yes. Has been for a while. Like about 35 years !! :biggrin:

The dirt track races west of Daytona will be stock cars/sprints.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:12 AM   #9
dubwise

@dhgeyer, I was riding in your neck of the woods the last two days.
My Sprinter was having cold start issues, and the dealer's an hour north in Keene.
Threw my GS500 in the back, dropped off the truck Monday and had a lovely ride down 10.
Yesterday I took the all-highway route to pick it up.

EMS long johns, insulated jeans, wool socks, Red Wing boots.
Sweat shirt, LL Bean chamois shirt, fleece vest, bulky sweater, armored leathers.
Balaclava, scarf (tucked into sweater), knit hat, helmet with fog free face.
Silk gloves, cotton gloves, Thinsulate leather gauntlets, xcountry skiing over-mitts.
The only part that needs work is that the balaclava around my glasses
restricted my peripheral vision, and I couldn't turn my head very far.
I set the mirrors wider than usual, and leaned into them before changing lanes.
Need a balaclava with a wider opening.

I don't think I would have enjoyed it much on the GZ250, because even the
GS500 was getting blown around, and it's a lot more sure-footed at speed.
However, it's the GZ250 that I'm setting up as my winter bike.
Most of my riding is around town, where the GZ rules over all.
It's way easier to pick up the GZ when I inevitably drop it in an icy parking lot,
and the upright cruiser seating position feels more stable on treacherous ground.
I'm putting Vstrom knuckle guards on it, and I'm looking for tires that have serious tread.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #10
dhgeyer

dubwise,

Which GS500 do you have, the GS500E (naked) or the GS500F (has bodywork)? If you have the "F", it likely will give you a little better wind protection in very cold weather. Also, salt won't hurt plastic as much as metal, especially chrome. Apart from that, the 500 may (not to say does as I don't know but worth looking into) have enough alternator output to power electric clothes. The GZ250 definitely does not. If you keep this madness up you will (trust me on this) want to migrate to electric clothing sooner or later.

My Winter bike is a BMW R850R, which is heavier than either of your machines. But it has that wonderful Beemer power plug, a 700 watt alternator, heated grips, a good windshield, and it has never gone down any farther than the cylinder heads, which does no damage except to the small and relatively inexpensive plastic cylinder head guards. It's also not too hard to pick it up from that partially tipped over position. I have good BMW handguards for it, but I don't like them much and they are currently not on the bike. Between the heated handgrips and electric gloves my hands have been warm enough so far without them.

I haven't had the problem with the balaclava that you are having. It can limit my head movement a little, but I find that if I'm careful to leave some "slack" when I tuck it into my jacket it's not too bad. The opening in mine has never limited peripheral vision at all.

Definitely agree the little GZ is easier to manage, especially on ice. I've taken the GZ places that I wouldn't dare try with either of my other bikes. That's part of the fun of owning it, as it opens up riding opportunities around here. Not sure what you'll find for winter/off road tires, but it can't hurt to ask. If the roads are wet when you ride, this time of year you will be splashing and splattering salt water all over your bike. If you value its looks and/or resale value, you will want to hose it down when you get home to get the salt off.

I must admire your chutzpa. I'm waiting for Friday and/or Saturday to ride, as it's going to be a lot warmer. I have ridden down to 20 degrees, but if it's going to warm up in a day or two, I'll wait.

By the way, when the weather really warms up, would you have any interest in meeting up for some riding? I've never seen 2 GZ250's together around here. Maybe we could start a trend.