Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 10-26-2010, 02:27 AM   #1
alanmcorcoran

Banning Idyllwild Panoramic Highway

Weather cleared a little Sunday and the wife, who is sick of hearing me practice my Christmas repertoire, suggested I "go for a ride." Headed out to Mile High Cafe, a place I discovered on the way back from Joshua Tree, Labor Day weekend. It's a 180 miler, about a tank of gas on the Strat. Half of it is high speed freeway and the other half is twisty mountain roads. Mile High is about as high as the name implies, and, after you leave and continue on towards Banning, it climbs above 6000 feet. Was a little chilly up there but still pretty temperate. They do get snow in the winter. I'll be out there six more times between now and 12/26.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
Moedad

Re: Banning Idyllwild Panoramic Highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
I'll be out there six more times between now and 12/26.
You already know how many times? Are you going to be on the Strat or KLR? Let me know if you'd like some company one of those times.
Old 10-26-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
You already know how many times? Are you going to be on the Strat or KLR? Let me know if you'd like some company one of those times.
Goin' out to play the pianner. Chestnuts and fire and all that. If it's cold or snowing or looks like it might snow, I'll be taking the 4 wheel drive. All dates are in December - first one is Saturday the 11th.

Old 10-26-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
Water Warrior 2

Looks like a great way to spend the day. Lots of entertaining curves to practice your skills and sense of adventure.
Old 10-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #5
alanmcorcoran

It's good for practicing curves and the piano...

Old 10-26-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
Moedad

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedad
Goin' out to play the pianner. Chestnuts and fire and all that. If it's cold or snowing or looks like it might snow, I'll be taking the 4 wheel drive. All dates are in December - first one is Saturday the 11th.
How'd you get that gig? Did you sit down and start playing it like at the Rock House? And they said "Hey, do you want to come and do that some more?"
Old 10-26-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
alanmcorcoran

Pretty much. I asked them if I could play. Also, they had a bench and the piano wasn't a piece of shit. I am still not quite ready for prime time (thus my tendency to play out of the way places - last year I played three nights in Solvang) but, I'm getting there. I have 43 Christmas songs divided into A's, B's, C's, and D's. (I also have a couple of "forget it for nows.") If I can get them all up to A or A-, I'll start playing locally. I do have a date this year at the local Border's to ease my way in.

This was the first gig where they offered to pay me in something other than free food and drinks, so that's a big milestone. However, I refused the $. I might go with a tip jar. Maybe next year I'll have the confidence to charge (but, for me, it's not really about the money - but the idea someone was willing to pay was pretty nice.)

I uploaded an old Midi from 2008. It's a bit plodding and slow (I get really nervous when recording) but it gives you some idea of where I'm at. (this one I've worked on a lot since and it's an "A" now...)

EDIT: not sure what the issues is, but the .mid won't upload...
Old 10-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #8
Moedad

That's great! Maybe my wife and I will book a room at one of the B&Bs up there and drop by to listen.

What's the Borders store, date, and time?

Quote:
Pretty much. I asked them if I could play. Also, they had a bench and the piano wasn't a piece of shit. I am still not quite ready for prime time (thus my tendency to play out of the way places - last year I played three nights in Solvang) but, I'm getting there. I have 43 Christmas songs divided into A's, B's, C's, and D's. (I also have a couple of "forget it for nows.") If I can get them all up to A or A-, I'll start playing locally. I do have a date this year at the local Border's to ease my way in.

This was the first gig where they offered to pay me in something other than free food and drinks, so that's a big milestone. However, I refused the $. I might go with a tip jar. Maybe next year I'll have the confidence to charge (but, for me, it's not really about the money - but the idea someone was willing to pay was pretty nice.)

I uploaded an old Midi from 2008. It's a bit plodding and slow (I get really nervous when recording) but it gives you some idea of where I'm at. (this one I've worked on a lot since and it's an "A" now...)

EDIT: not sure what the issues is, but the .mid won't upload...
Old 10-26-2010, 05:29 PM   #9
alantf

Quote:

So .......... this was a picture where the ghost of a child that wasn't on the original photo appears, right?

Spookier than zombies, or what?
Old 10-26-2010, 06:07 PM   #10
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alantf
Quote:

So .......... this was a picture where the ghost of a child that wasn't on the original photo appears, right?

Spookier than zombies, or what?
A zombie that liked "Linus and Lucy."