Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 08-27-2007, 06:02 PM   #1
markboy

Power Loss in 5th Gear

Went on a long journy over the weekend and had an issue where the bike would not perform in 5th gear. I would shift into 5th at about 50 or 55 mph and it would just bog down. I could take 4th gear up to 65 if I really pushed it but then shifting into 5th would just bog down again. I couldn't get the bike over 60 on the flats and any sort of incline, and I mean ANY, would just drop me down to 50ish.

I had refueled just prior to this happenning (adding about 1.5 gallons) and had also just taken a lunch break for about 30 minutes after refueling. The weather was warm (low 70's) and the altitude was not significant (~2000 feet).

This issue cleared up after climbing over a mountain pass and descending back to near sea level about 80 miles later.

Any ideas what may have caused this?

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 08-27-2007, 06:31 PM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Altitude. Less air equals less power.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:10 PM   #3
9mmPreacher

I had similar issues just today, I was on a slight incline in 4th gear at about 60/65 mph and I shifted up into 5th gear and a few seconds later I lost power. I actually had a tough time getting it started but eventually it did start, not sure what was wrong.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:26 AM   #4
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mmPreacher
I had similar issues just today, I was on a slight incline in 4th gear at about 60/65 mph and I shifted up into 5th gear and a few seconds later I lost power. I actually had a tough time getting it started but eventually it did start, not sure what was wrong.
This kind of fits in with your other complaint about backfiring. It would appear that you need to flush the fuel system and clean the carb. Original Gumout or Berrymans B12 are good.......or a trip to the shop.
I think I've heard that carb cleaning can be had for $100-150 but that would vary some, I'm sure.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #5
markboy

I've sold my GZ (and yes, I miss it) but it turns out that the problem was that the spark plug had actually come loose during the ride.