Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 02-25-2007, 10:11 PM   #1
BULLDOG

ok new questionkinda the same idea

whats a better choice GZ250 or S40 both feel good when i sit on them and there both lightweight cruisers...any info is welcome

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 02-26-2007, 12:56 AM   #2
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Well, most obvious is the S40 is belt driven vs the GZ chain drive. That will give you a quieter ride and virtually zero maintenance.
S40 is 50lbs heavier than the GZ and takes one less tank of gas. The GZ will get better gas mileage than the S40.
The S40 is ever so slightly bigger than the GZ. Like an inch or two in width.
The S40 has 40 cubic inch displacement vs the GZ 15 cubic inch displacement. You'll get more power with the S40.
Slightly larger rear tire on the S40.
S40 has spring coiled/oil dampended front suspension vs GZ oil dampened.
GZ can get about 70 mpg while the S40 gets about 45-50mpg.

Theres the differences. Now its up to you to make a choice. What do you want more... mileage per gallon or a power increase? They are almost 2 in the same bikes, 3 major differences is the belt drive, mileage per gallon and power (cu in). I cant make up your mind for you, but 'usually' the higher model wins when you ask 'whats a better choice'. In this case though, you need to decide what matters more, fuel mileage or having more power.

The pics i am looking at, the S40 looks like the tank slopes up a little more than the GZ does, did you notice that sitting on them?

If you are wondering what i would choose if i had to....i'd probably go with the S40. But thats just ME (knowing what i know now, my size, preferences etc). The gz is still a fine bike by any means.

On a side note, i'd be interested what a S40 sounds like with that single exhaust pipe.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 02-26-2007, 10:02 PM   #3
Bill

Dupo has given you some really good comparitive information to consider. You are looking at a little over $1000 difference in price. Approximately a 25% increase. Is the increase in cost worth the increase in power (with a decrease in milage) and a belt drive that you don't have to maintain like a chain? What kind of riding will you be doing? I don't see the S40 going on any roads that the GZ250 wouldn't also go on. Personally I wouldn't take it on the interstate and expect to feel comfortable.

When we bought a GZ250 that my wife wanted I was considering buying one too. I liked the high milage and the low cost to operate and maintain. Unfortunately I'm a little to tall at 6'1" with size 12 feet to fit comfortably on one so I tried out all the other Suzuki cruiser models. I finally settled on the C50 which will take me anywhere without concern. I will be lowering it 1 inch and putting on a gel seat that will lower the seating position an additional inch. It will then easily fit my 5'4" wife. So if you are wanting to ride on the highway there is another choice.

Personally I would go with the GZ250 if it were me and I could fit on one. After riding for a year (and taking the safety course) I would then be in a better position to decide on whether I wanted something larger. Heck in a year I would be in a better position to have saved up some more cash with the milage I would get from the GZ250. In 3 years of riding I probably would have saved enough compared to the milage from a car to have completely paid the bike off.

How are you going to use the bike?

Cheers!

Old 02-27-2007, 03:38 PM   #4
BULLDOG

it,s a bike i could use maybe 2 or 3 times a week to go to work and back annd weekend cruising. my biggest problem is i finally workd it to even get a bike(wifie is a tuff cookie)so i better make a good choice for the bike cuz i might not get a chance to upgrade later
btw thanx for the input very good info.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:26 PM   #5
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
Well then, choose wisely! lol.

I was in the same predicament you were in when i got my GZ. I was pretty sure this was it and no other bike for a loooong time. Unfortunately, i outgrew the low power of the GZ a lot quicker than i anticipated. Luckily, some money fell out of a tree which allowed me to upgrade to what i have now. After spending almost 4 grand this time around, she said i better keep it a long time lol.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Old 02-28-2007, 05:15 AM   #6
Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BULLDOG
it,s a bike i could use maybe 2 or 3 times a week to go to work and back annd weekend cruising. my biggest problem is i finally workd it to even get a bike(wifie is a tuff cookie)so i better make a good choice for the bike cuz i might not get a chance to upgrade later
btw thanx for the input very good info.
If this is the case then I would change my suggestion. When faced with a decision for a one time opportunity then I would go for the best that I could afford that will serve well in the future. My philosophy has always been "It is better to have and not need than to need and not have." The GZ250 is a fine motorcycle that is a good choice for commuting and weekend cruising. However, a midsize like the Suzuki S40, Dupos choice of the Shadow 750, or my choice of the Suzuki C50 are bikes that will take care of any present or future needs. Since cost is part of the consideration in making a decision then I suggest adding these to the equation to come up with the total cost:
1. Take the motorcycle safety course regardless of past experience. If there is any chance of your sweetie riding with you then encourage her to take the course too. Passengers need to be aware of the handling characteristics of a bike. Personally I don't take on passengers ever because I don't know how they will respond. My wife feels the same and although we both ride it is on separate bikes. I even went so far as to take off the passenger seat.
2. First purchase is some sturdy highway bars. Best done when you buy the bike. It will pay for itself the first time the bike lays down even from a parked position. Eventually this WILL happen. Do not confuse highway bars with engine guards that do nothing to protect the bike. The GZ250 only has OEM engine guards (just short of being useless) and there are NO aftermarket highway bars available. The C50 has OEM engine guards (again useless) but there are plenty of good quality highway bars (like Cobra) that are very effective. *Ask me how I know. I'm sure there is a nice selection for Shadow 750 as well.
3. Install a Stebel horn. The stock horns are fine for Roadrunner impersonations but not good for getting the attention of car drivers with rolled up windows, loud stereos and cell phones. The Stebel is 139dB. LOUD! Way beyond the car horn. It will get their attention and possibly require a change in underware.

Good luck. Hope your on the road soon and we can see pictures.

Cheers!
Old 02-28-2007, 08:00 AM   #7
BULLDOG

thanx guys it makes a lil more sense.my thots are i might outgrow the GZ to fast and be stuck with it
:sad:
Old 02-28-2007, 12:57 PM   #8
davidc83

How difficult is it to attach one of the stebel horns?