Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Beginners

Old 05-06-2011, 02:30 AM   #1
grego

chain lube

hi all newbie again

what do you us for chain lube ? i have this spray can at work its penray chain lube. says wont fly off good for metal to metal heavy duty farm,industrial,marine, shop applications,motorcycles and motor bikes.

then it tells me how to apply it to the chain. has anybody heard of this stuff or used it ?

thanks...ride safe
grego

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-06-2011, 04:12 AM   #2
Water Warrior 2

Re: chain lube

Once the can is empty try this. Go to the local big box hardware and buy a can of DuPont with Teflon lubricant. The stuff is a lot cheaper, does an excellant job without making a mess. It just plain works.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
5th_bike

I have a can of similar stuff, chain wax, I used it the first time and it works fine but the application is kind of messy, a lot of it just flies by the chain. I still have the can but don't use it anymore.

Now I just go kind of by what the manual says, clean with kerosene and lube with oil. For lubing I use a heavy gear oil, specifically Pennzoil 'Gearplus" SAE 80W-140 GL-5. The manual says to use motor oil, but that's kind of thin and most of it splatters off onto the rim of the rear wheel right away. The gear oil splatters too, but over time you learn to not apply too much. Also in between cleanings every now and then I put like 10 drops of oil on the chain before riding, just to keep it oiled. The sprockets will distribute it.

Over 8000 miles so far and I never tightened the chain (ah well, actually once after I got a new inner tube in the rear wheel). If you ever should tighten the chain, first rotate the rear wheel to make sure that the chain is at its tightest position - for some reason, when you turn the rear wheel, the chain tightness varies. Also after you tighten the chain, check if it isn't overly tight by rotating the rear wheel and make sure it's always loose enough. Best to keep the chain on the loose side of the range (wasn't that 1 inch?).

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #4
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5th_bike
Best to keep the chain on the loose side of the range (wasn't that 1 inch?).
Chain slack should be around 9/16".I always used PJI chain wax.I found it less messy and doesn't attract dirt.I still use PJ1 for lubing my cables and pivot points.
:cool: