Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 11-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #11
Water Warrior 2

Re: won't start - bad gas?

Something else to be aware of. You might have dirty contacts in the kill switch on the handle bar. Just enough to shut you down the odd time but not enough to shut you down permanently. A little contact cleaner should do the trick.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 11-04-2009, 05:50 PM   #12
i2kdave

ok, now it's back to not starting again
It won't start in run, prime, or reserve. Engine turns over, but won't fire. I drained fuel from the carb and it looked fine, there were a few specks of debris, but nothing major. I checked the vacuum and fuel hoses on the carb and they looked fine.

If it were an issue with a cutoff switch, wouldn't there be no reaction to pressing the ignition, instead of the engine turning over but not firing?

thanks for all the input!
Old 11-04-2009, 06:25 PM   #13
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2kdave
Two more things that haven't been mentioned in this thread (I think):
Be sure your battery is fully charged; the electronic ignition will quit firing before the starter stops turning.
A LITTLE squirt of starting fluid (or maybe even carb cleaner) should give you a quick indication of whether you really have a fuel delivery problem or a spark problem.

Oh, and in your first post you said that you KNOW the plug is firing.........so putting in a new one might still be a good idea; cheap and fairly easy. And often the very thing that you KNOW is NOT the problem........turns out to BE the problem. :biggrin:

Old 11-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #14
burkbuilds

"Oh, and in your first post you said that you KNOW the plug is firing.........so putting in a new one might still be a good idea; cheap and fairly easy. And often the very thing that you KNOW is NOT the problem........turns out to BE the problem. :biggrin:"

I'll 2nd that recommendation, you aren't out much if it doesn't help.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:50 PM   #15
Water Warrior 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2kdave
It won't start in run, prime, or reserve. Engine turns over, but won't fire. I drained fuel from the carb and it looked fine, there were a few specks of debris, but nothing major. I checked the vacuum and fuel hoses on the carb and they looked fine.

If it were an issue with a cutoff switch, wouldn't there be no reaction to pressing the ignition, instead of the engine turning over but not firing?

The entire switch housing has multiple contacts. The start button is a duel purpose switch, it shuts of the headlight and powers the starter at the same time. Then reverses the contacts when you let off the starter button. The kill switch powers the ignition system using different contacts. One set of contacts may be more subject to operating malfunctions than others. Also mentioned was the side stand switch, if it is loose or corroded it might shut off the engine when the transmission is in gear and you are on the move with the side stand in the up position. I am sure your problem is a minor one but you have to track it down for your own safety. A bike that randomly shuts down on the street is a liability.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #16
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
The start button is a duel purpose switch, it shuts of the headlight and powers the starter at the same time.
I don't have one to go look at anymore but my feeble memory says that the GZ doesn't disable the headlight during cranking.
True or false ?? :??:
Old 11-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #17
Water Warrior 2

[quote=Easy Rider]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Water Warrior":156purba
The start button is a duel purpose switch, it shuts of the headlight and powers the starter at the same time.
I don't have one to go look at anymore but my feeble memory says that the GZ doesn't disable the headlight during cranking.
True or false ?? :??:[/quote:156purba]

Lynda's GZ disabled the headlight. Could be a Canadian thing only but I rather doubt it. Any other Canadians out there who want to go do a double check to clear this up. We don't have a GZ handy anymore to play with.

Dang it Easy, I just found my memory last week and now you've got me thinking it is broken. Oh well, I'll just start wearing a name tag again in case I get lost. :lol: :lol:
Old 11-04-2009, 09:52 PM   #18
music man

[quote=Easy Rider]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Water Warrior":20nj7hy7
True or false ?? :??:[/quote:20nj7hy7]

True, the headlight stayed lit while I cranked mine, so unless something was wrong with it (the GZ), it doesn't disable the headlight when you crank it.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:07 PM   #19
Water Warrior 2

Okay, I stand corrected. Sorry to lead anyone astray. Memo to self, more brain food.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:13 AM   #20
mrlmd1

Watching the headlight dim severely when you hit the starter when the bike won't crank is one of the clues of a dying or weak battery.
My '99's headlight stayed on when I hit the starter button.