Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Off-Topic Discussion

Old 12-01-2007, 02:20 PM   #1
Water Warrior 2

BRRR..WINTER.

Ugly weather. The streets are fairly clear but getting to them is a challenge, 500 or 600 feet of ice covered parking lot. Should be gone in a couple days if the rain washes it away. I do envy you folks who can ride all year without wearing 80 pounds of clothing and waterproofing. The west coast is not nearly as severe as the Canadian Prairies and the reason I moved here. Just need a winning lottery ticket to never be cold again.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-26-2008, 08:06 PM   #2
themarauderer

Re: BRRR..WINTER.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Ugly weather. The streets are fairly clear but getting to them is a challenge, 500 or 600 feet of ice covered parking lot. Should be gone in a couple days if the rain washes it away. I do envy you folks who can ride all year without wearing 80 pounds of clothing and waterproofing. The west coast is not nearly as severe as the Canadian Prairies and the reason I moved here. Just need a winning lottery ticket to never be cold again.
I ride all year round ... with gear (helmet mandatory here, protected trousers and armoured jackets wise for sure so I Have em + gloves!) ... done me NO harm I can tell ya.

Last winter (December there) I hit black ice, had to content with my GZ sliding side ways, truck coming down the road at me AND my own weight, all on black ice. FUN, it was not....survived tho! You might notice a few small scuffs on my muffler...thats ALL I was dropping....after hte time I spend cleaning my bike, aint no chance I was dropping it any further................bloody ice!

Now, black ice, I dont worry about BUT, I sure as hell dont go skating on it either :2tup:

I hear ya man. Best bet - always use the main roads that tend to be gritted and clear (or they are here in Scotland anyway)....

Nice one buddy - good to know Im not hte only one freezing on the bike, all year (or least, most of it when it stops raining long enough!)
Old 05-26-2008, 10:29 PM   #3
Water Warrior 2

Been in this location for 3 years now. This last winter was apparently the worst in at least 2 decades. Could be far worse than it is. I can pretty much ride around town all winter except for a heavy snowfall. Getting out of town can be a challenge though. Living between the mountains and the Pacific Ocean can be dicey with any elevation change. In town can be lovely and 5 kms north or south can offer you a blizzard if the conditions decide to change drastically. My other ride has doors and a roof.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 05-27-2008, 07:20 AM   #4
themarauderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
Been in this location for 3 years now. This last winter was apparently the worst in at least 2 decades. Could be far worse than it is. I can pretty much ride around town all winter except for a heavy snowfall. Getting out of town can be a challenge though. Living between the mountains and the Pacific Ocean can be dicey with any elevation change. In town can be lovely and 5 kms north or south can offer you a blizzard if the conditions decide to change drastically. My other ride has doors and a roof.
Yep - the winter weather can indeed be picturesque but, darn cold.

My other ride also has 4 doors and a roof, ABS and a heated window and its darn handy when you need to transport bags of shopping home and get the kids out and about .... however, it has pretty much zero on the fun scale, unlike the bike :2tup:

(note: that isn't an excuse I'll use to go out in the ice again tho when I COULD have used the car! :cuss: ) darn fool I am....