Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Instructional Articles

Old 10-27-2015, 08:54 AM   #1
ShellyNix

Won't Start: Diagnosing the issue

Hey guys,

New here and new to the GZ world in general. Bought the 250 (2005) from a guy who owns a riding school. A few scratches here and there but I tested it twice and it ran fine both times. Let it sit in my garage for a couple days, wouldn't start last night. Sounded like it was having trouble turning over a few times, then the fourth press of the engine start button, no noise (light clicking but no sound from the engine). Lights all still work, but horn all of a sudden does not. When I press the horn the lights flicker but I get no sound. Here's where my being new comes into play. I think I may have left the choke down for the two days between when I bought it and when I tried to start it again. I bought I spark plug socket and will try to pull it out tonight. I also bought a battery charger, though I am having a hard time finding a place to charge since I live in a condo building (on the marble floor of the lobby maybe?). And to add to the issues, this morning when I went to look at it, I noticed a black tar on the left side of the engine.

Please let me know if anyone has had similar problems. I would really like to get this thing running shortly.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-27-2015, 01:19 PM   #2
Fawlty

Welcome to the forum, which, in my view, is one of the best motorcycle forums on the net.

Start with the battery. Whether or not you are having difficulties charging, take it to a local shop, you should be able to get it load tested for free. Don't worry about the choke. When you say a black tar, do you mean an oil stain?

Others more knowledgeable will be along to assist further.

(Johnny Strabbler-The Wild One 1953)
Old 10-27-2015, 02:11 PM   #3
Vegas Street Rider

Start with the battery first. Have it tested. It is usually free. If you have the budget, I would recommend a lithium ion battery. It has the highest cranking amps of all the batteries I have used. It also will not lose it's charge as fast as the others. Runs about $100. If not, a standard battery will do for about $55.00 bucks. Not sure about the black tar you mentioned. Oil leak?

Old 10-27-2015, 04:26 PM   #4
ShellyNix

Thanks for the help guys . I am going to charge it now. Will let you know how it works out. Others have advised against charging the battery inside. I don't have a lot of options, is it that bad?
Old 10-27-2015, 04:30 PM   #5
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyNix View Post
Thanks for the help guys . I am going to charge it now. Will let you know how it works out. Others have advised against charging the battery inside. I don't have a lot of options, is it that bad?
It's o.k. to charge inside .Just keep it away from heat sources & sparks.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:24 PM   #6
ShellyNix

Thanks. The general consensus from my google search was that it would immediately explode when I plugged it in inside my apartment.
Old 10-27-2015, 07:57 PM   #7
blaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyNix View Post
Thanks. The general consensus from my google search was that it would immediately explode when I plugged it in inside my apartment.
Nope....If you can give it a little ventilation near a window......even better.

Old 10-27-2015, 09:50 PM   #8
ShellyNix

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine View Post
Nope....If you can give it a little ventilation near a window......even better.
You guys were right! Charged it and it started right up. Had to leave the choke all the way down for about five minutes before I could put it in first gear without stalling.

Thanks for the help guys! I'm really glad I found this forum.

Last edited by ShellyNix; 10-28-2015 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:19 PM   #9
Vegas Street Rider

Glad you got it resolved. I would replace the plug just so you start fresh. Also, lube and adjust the chain, lube the cables, etc. Lots of how to info on this site and on the net if you need additional help. Welcome to the forum
Old 10-29-2015, 11:36 AM   #10
ShellyNix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Street Rider View Post
Glad you got it resolved. I would replace the plug just so you start fresh. Also, lube and adjust the chain, lube the cables, etc. Lots of how to info on this site and on the net if you need additional help. Welcome to the forum
Thanks. I'm replacing the plug today and I will take your advice on the chain and cables.

Tags
battery, engine, problem, spark, starting