Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > Troubleshooting

Old 07-30-2008, 09:21 AM   #21
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder
But again.. its not carbs related, I just dont understand what you guys dont get.. lol I KNOW for a fact.. its not carb related lol
OK.....lol....
If you really are a mechanic, you understand perfectly what we are trying to say.

Day 1: I have a problem and it looks like it's caused by AAA.
Day 2: I have checked AAA and it's ok.
Day 3: Still looks like an AAA problem but I'm sure that's not it.
Day 4: I checked AAA again and I KNOW that's not the problem.
Day 10: Well,I'll be. Turns out AAA was the problem after all. :oops:

I agree that it is probably an electrical component weak or damaged, probably on the ignition board.
I would never change a coil without changing the plug wire and cap too.

Good luck. I give up.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 07-30-2008, 01:10 PM   #22
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

"Only a Sith deals in adsolutes..."

In my experience, almost everytime I have said, "I know for a fact that it is not this" it turns out I am wrong.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:08 PM   #23
Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Warrior
That is quite a problem. May I suggest this, you may have checked already but bear with me. I would be searching for an ignition problem. Spark plug cap or plug wire itself could be the culprit. In 5th gear the bike has to work the hardest and a weak component may only show up when really asked to do the maximun effort. Age and deterioration of the cap or wire may have caused small cracks in the material. Or possibly the power line to the ignition coil has some deterioration. If you haven't already, go over each connection through the entire ignition system.
This is a slightly related problem I had recently with my cage. A driving light went out so I replaced the bulb. Did not work. Checked new and old bulbs with meter and both were fine. Had power to the light itself. Test light would work, meter read proper voltage and even was able to light up an LED test light no problem. I even tried both bulbs in the working driving light with bright results. All my connections were solid and looked good. No corrosion or dirt. Started from scratch with new connectors and the second one fixed the problem. A light load, test light, meter and LED would work as the load was small but the connector was apparently faulty or my work was. Betting on my install work. Double check the electrical system. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a poor ground haunting you somewhere in the ignition system. Let us know how you make out please.
Finally someone with some real insite..

Its wasnt my call to replace the whole coil but I did. On that coil the ignition wire is apart of it, so its not like I could just replace the wire and boot. Although I did replace the boot with an NGK one before and after I did the coil swap, it still didnt fix the problem.

You are correct though (finally someone that know's what Im talking about) 5th gear on the engine with a load does have to work "harder" for a strong spark. I opened the whole harness and checked the factory splice's and connections and still couldnt find anything except for one kinked wire in which I fixed. I also did a load test on the dash light connections and ran the bike up in 5th gear and checked for a serge in power.. Bingo..

Even though I replaced the 2 bulbs and they still work, there is a serge in power at those wire connections. One light only needs to work when its in neutral, and the other only when there is a turn signal on. So a bump in power when those lights are suposed to be off SHOWS that there is a draw in the system. A draw which pulls power from the coil and inso another place its not suposed to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider

OK.....lol....
If you really are a mechanic, you understand perfectly what we are trying to say.

Day 1: I have a problem and it looks like it's caused by AAA.
Day 2: I have checked AAA and it's ok.
Day 3: Still looks like an AAA problem but I'm sure that's not it.
Day 4: I checked AAA again and I KNOW that's not the problem.
Day 10: Well,I'll be. Turns out AAA was the problem after all. :oops:
I have no idea what your talkin about man.. lol because "AAA" wasnt the problem, so get off your high horse.

Water Warrior thank you for really looking into the problem with this bike, I will let you know what the outcome is..

Old 08-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #24
finallyinthesaddle

Re: Easy Rider

What he was saying was, he has said before "The carb (or AAA) is DEFINATELY not the problem"(which I have done, too). Only to find out later that the carb WAS the problem. We are all happy that you found the problem, and that you were right and it wasn't the carb. However, no person can assume that someone they've never met has any idea about mechanics, and it would be foolish to think that just because Joe Blow says it's definately not the carb, doesn't mean that Joe Blow is correct. He was trying to help, not to tell you you were stupid. From the way you were describing it, it very well could have been a carb issue, and for the matter of you having cleaned the carb, all it takes is one microscopic piece of dirt in an out of the way place that you can't get to by spraying in carb cleaner and blowing it out with 120 PSI of air. Furthermore, if you cleaned it out twice, and cleaned it out the same way twice, it is perfectly logical that you missed the same spot twice. All Easy was trying to say was, don't totally discount anything until you "KNOW" what is wrong with it.

Anyway, glad to hear you're rolling again!! :rawk:
Old 08-02-2008, 02:47 AM   #25
Water Warrior 2

Spyder. Any chance some one was into the wiring in the past ? Any non OEM wiring just tucked away after a switch or electrical item was removed ? Here's along shot. Check in the headlight bucket. A lot of the whole power system gets involved in there. Poor connections, worn wires due to vibration or non OEM wires.

Old 08-03-2008, 05:46 PM   #26
Easy Rider

Quote:
I also did a load test on the dash light connections and ran the bike up in 5th gear and checked for a serge in power.. Bingo..

Even though I replaced the 2 bulbs and they still work, there is a serge in power at those wire connections.
So what exactly does that mean? What is a "load test"? What kind of "surge"?

And now for something completely different........

After logging 1200 miles in the past 2 weeks, I now feel more "at one" with my GZ. It has some interesting personality quirks. At a certain RPM in 4th and 5th gear, it has a harmonic vibration. At a certain speed ~40 mph it has a low tone wind "whistle". At about 50-55 mph in 5th gear, it sounds like the engine is falling apart......but it isn't because if you accelerate thought it, the noise goes away. This last one only occurs with a windshield and helmet; without the helmet, you don't notice the ominous noise at all. Strange.

I mention this HERE only to ask: What leads you to believe there is a "miss" in the first place? Is it the sound.......or is it a feeling of loss of power and increased vibration?

And, no, I'm not trying to be a smart ass. Anyone who doesn't want my input can just tell me when to shut up.
If that's what the "high horse" comment meant, then I'm done.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:13 PM   #27
patrick_777

Send a message via ICQ to patrick_777 Send a message via AIM to patrick_777 Send a message via Yahoo to patrick_777
Quote:
At a certain RPM in 4th and 5th gear, it has a harmonic vibration.
Mine does this exact same thing. It lessened dramatically when I changed to the 16T sprocket, but was still there. When I changed back to the 15T, it came back just like before. I'm assuming it has something to do with the wear of the chain and/or sprocket. I figure, whenever (read: if ever) I put a new chain and sprockets on, I'll see if it clears up. Until then, I'll have to deal with the "whine".

PS: You can actually hear it in my tank camera video posted in Ride Reports. It's near the end after the construction stops when the bike gets around 40-45 mph.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:22 PM   #28
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick_777
I put a new chain and sprockets on, I'll see if it clears up.
Don't hold your breath.
I think it is due to the engine design.
Mine how has only 4K miles on it.

Once it gets to 60 though, it purrs like a kitten. It will even pull most hills, if I can get it wound up to just a tad over 60 at the bottom of the hill (with a 16T).
Old 08-05-2008, 05:45 PM   #29
Spyder

Quote:

I mention this HERE only to ask: What leads you to believe there is a "miss" in the first place? Is it the sound.......or is it a feeling of loss of power and increased vibration?
Ride your bike up to 50mph in 5th gear... give it some gas and speed up a little.. then with your left hand flip the kill switch off then back on as fast as you can 1 time every 1-2 seconds..

Thats what it feels like..

Warrior.. Most of my electrical checks were done in that head light bucket. I found one wire that rubbed threw right where it went unto the headlight bucket and was bare wire. But I fixed that. It didnt seem to be grounding on anything at all anyways.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:39 PM   #30
Easy Rider

Quote:
Ride your bike up to 50mph in 5th gear... give it some gas and speed up a little.. then with your left hand flip the kill switch off then back on as fast as you can 1 time every 1-2 seconds..

Thats what it feels like..
If you really mean feels and not "sounds", then that eliminates that theory.

What happens if you accelerate PAST that speed......or is there not enough power to do that?

I think I'm about out of ideas.