Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 03-10-2007, 08:59 PM   #11
Dupo

Send a message via MSN to Dupo
As far as i know, if its not gummed up too bad you can use something like SeaFoam in the tank to clean it up. If its very gummed up then things just wont move and flow like they are supposed to. That stuff is like molasses when it gets bad. Thats when its going to need to be broken down and done manually or professionally. I would imagine he should be alright with some SeaFoam additive and fresh gas. Also as far as i know, fresh fuel will not break that stuff down.

I do recommend SeaFoam though. Most every forum i belong to says to use it if your bike has been sitting. Stuff is awesome on cars too.

Photography Gallery *updated url - new site!
Motorcycle Blog
Facebook

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 03-11-2007, 04:51 PM   #12
oneyunguy

Well, I went out to the local Napa and purchased some Seafoam. :rawk: I got some Premium Mohawk gas as well. When I looked at what came out of the petcock, it looked fine, still a slight amberish and smelled like gas should, no particles. I will drain the old, and put the new gas in with some seafoam. ((HOW MUCH????))

I will also heat the engine with a heater to get the old oil more viscous to drain better. Then will add new oil to crankcase with some seafoam.((HOW MUCH????))

I was thinking as well, if the oil is in the rings and cylinder, should I add a little seafoam into there as well? Or will plain WD-40 do what it might need? (some help to lube the cylinder on top end and some firing help on initial starting) :??:
Old 03-11-2007, 07:29 PM   #13
one

now if this is out of place then say so....

for winter storage of my boat (outboard engine) i would fill the carb with a product until it would stall. then I would pull the plugs and fill the cylinders with oil.

with that said, i am suggesting putting some oil in the plug hole then hand turning the engine over with the plugs out before the "startup". this would do what you're intending to do with WD40 but not adding another chemical to the engine. if too much oil is put in the hole then you'll have to clean the plugs after you're running.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:14 PM   #14
Dupo

Read the can directions for how much! I dont have one in front of me, but you really dont need alot at all for a motorcycle. seafoam is great for oil and gas. You CAN put it in the cylinders too if you choose. Read this on their website: http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTech.htm Theres alot of info on their site. If you still have a question, they DO answer emails! They have a great staff on hand for helping you use their product.

boat engine and bike engine 2 different things. but, you are correct with filling with product till stalling ... Stabil mixed in a full tank, turn off fuel to carbs, let run till it dies (after running the bike a few miles to make sure the stabil mixes well and is IN the carbs). I have read that putting oil in the cylinders isnt that great of a thing to do on motorcycles for short term storage. i'll see if i can find what i read about that and put it up here. and One is right, too much oil in there you will have fouled plugs. You can buy some Fogging Oil to put in the cylinders and is made specifically for this application.

i would suggest NOT using WD40 in the cylinders. that stuff is water based... and you know what water does. Get yourself some fogging oil or use the Seafoam.

Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 03-11-2007, 08:50 PM   #15
oneyunguy

Okay, great advice. The can pretty much called for alot, Im talking 1/3 to half the can. Anyhow the website was alot more informative, I worked it out to this formula... For the OIL: 1.5 oz per quart, GAS: 1 oz per gallon. So that's what I did. In fact I used less than that.

When I drained the oil it looked good. This person changed the oil and filter right before it got parked. I wasn't too worried about it after I looked at it, but put the new in anyways.

After draining the gas(from the tank, not the carb), swishing a small amount of seafoam around, then putting a few liters of gas in, the oil was replaced with a small amount of seafoam, and a new filter(of course).

Meanwhile a small amount of wd-40 was sprayed through the spark plug hole (this after talking to a 30 year veteran mechanic), and put it in nuetral and cranked it around a few times while carefully listening for anything abnormal! BTW- I will not use WD40 for the cylinder again, maybe just a light oil.

After that was complete, everything was replaced, and checked once more. Phew, nothing abnormal so far except a tiny amount of what could be rust inside the tank.

Battery goes in, choke goes on full and voila, after 2 tries on the starter, 3rd time lucky. Let er run for awhile and smelled the exhaust, (you can tell some things by doing this). Nothing abnormal, except some smokey exhaust (it was very moist and cool and raining..kinda expected that), not too mention the additive.

All is well. Next will be to drain the oil once more and replace with new again.

All in all not too bad results, Thanks for all the good advice!

i did notice fogging oil but didnt get any

Old 07-07-2007, 09:14 AM   #16
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider
A little history lesson on WD-40. We have the space program to thank for WD-40. The "WD" stands for water dehydrant. The 40 stands for the 40th revision of the formual (the one that worked best). The original design criteria for WD-40 was to keep moisture out to prevent corrosion while at the same time providing lubrication. With this as it's design criteria, I highly doubt they would choose let alone be able to accomplish this with a water based formula.

just my 2ยข
Old 07-07-2007, 07:37 PM   #17
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quimrider
The "WD" stands for water dehydrant.
Close but no cigar.
I believe it is water DISPERSANT.

Otherwise,
Old 07-07-2007, 11:56 PM   #18
Dupo

WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th attempt. That's the name straight out of the lab book used by the chemist who developed WD-40 back in 1953. The chemist, Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion -- a task which is done by displacing water. Norm's persistence paid off when he perfected the formula on his 40th try.

Motorcycle Blog
Facebook
Old 07-08-2007, 12:05 AM   #19
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupo
WD-40 literally stands for Water Displacement, 40th attempt.
Thanks for jogging my feeble memory.
Good cut from the WD40 web site, BTW.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:20 AM   #20
Quimrider

Send a message via AIM to Quimrider
ok so I was close