Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 04-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #31
Easy Rider

Re: oil drain plug

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzzy
I thought about opening up the oil filter area and laying the bike down on a slight slope!
any other good ideas???
I wouldn't exactly call THAT a good idea. :shocked:

Yes, visit your dealer and have them break the bolt loose.....or just let them change the oil once and specify that you want a NEW drain bolt BEFORE you take it in so they can have it on hand. And next time use a flattened 6 point socket and you should be fine.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 04-24-2009, 02:36 PM   #32
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

You know, I never had a problem with keeping the socket on the bolt. Are you sure you aren't going at it cockeyed?

I went to the local Advance Auto and bought this: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... RP2078____

Works like a charm, and its small enough to throw under the seat for the road.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:52 PM   #33
marzzy

If I don not have the socket exactly "right on" it will no torgue at all...just slip off right away. I like the "offset ratchet except that it is 1/4". I think I will stop by at a not so local honda/susuki dealership and speak with someone in the service department....I like the idea of ordering a new oil plug!!!! I am eventhinking about ordering the whole thing.....(((oil pan /bolt)) then I would have everything on hand for them.
Everyone of you has been great!

Old 04-24-2009, 02:54 PM   #34
music man

Quote:
Originally Posted by marzzy
If I don not have the socket exactly "right on" it will no torgue at all...just slip off right away. I like the "offset ratchet except that it is 1/4". I think I will stop by at a not so local honda/susuki dealership and speak with someone in the service department....I like the idea of ordering a new oil plug!!!! I am eventhinking about ordering the whole thing.....(((oil pan /bolt)) then I would have everything on hand for them.
Everyone of you has been great!

Since it is already all messed up, you could use a pair of vice grips on it, just lock them on real tight and turn it, then put in a new oil plug, i would do that before I spent all that money on it, because like i said, you have already gotten to the point of replacing it anyways, so you have nothing to lose at this point.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:57 PM   #35
marzzy

Unless they are offset visegrips I cannot get clamped onto it. I am sure to try clip on vertically is useless and stupid as that plug must be 1/8" or less in height.