Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 06-18-2007, 01:26 PM   #21
Gadzooks Mike

A little bit, but I generally run it around town anyway, and now I end up running in a lower gear. I used to average around 60 or a bit better, now I get a consistant 65mpg. I'll let you know how the 2000 mile road trip turns out.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-18-2007, 05:36 PM   #22
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmove
So you went from a 15 to a 16? Didi it improve your gas mileage?
I don't think it's going to improve mine much if any 'cause I'm going to end up cruizing around town in 4th instead of 5th.

This is kind of like looking at pictures of the Grand Canyon. You don't really understand the feeling unless you have been there. The difference with the 16T front sprocket is almost like the difference between a Moped and a real bike. Honestly.

I can now complete a sweeping turn from a standing start without having to shift in the middle of the turn.

I can cruise comfortably about 65 without excessive engine noise; before, I thought it started straining about 55. (It doesn't really, it just felt like it).

It seems to run smoother, although I really doubt it. Stock, getting on it seemed to procuce a pronounced thumping (thus the nick-name)......now it doesn't seem to do that as much.

Overall MUCH more pleasant to ride. No down-side that I can see.
And you can always go back to the stock sprocket if you want.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:48 AM   #23
Gadzooks Mike

Thanks, Easy Rider. I've been trying to put exactly what you said into words and have completely and utterly failed. You hit it on the head - it just feels smoother. Very difficult to explain, but anyone who's gone to a 16T knows what I mean.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:49 PM   #24
Badbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadzooks Mike
I changed my oil about 500 miles ago and put in the normal 10-40 that I get from Suzuki. But after reading a lot of stuff here, and having a rather boring Saturday afternoon waiting for the baseball game to start, I rode down to the store and bought a couple quarters of Mobile-1 synthetic motorcycle oil. All I can say is that if you don't believe it shifts easier - and I mean EASIER - you should try it yourself. And this was from fairly new oil (500 miles or so) to synthetic. The normal clunk felt and heard while shifting is gone completely. I can't help but think this is much easier on the bike.

Cool! Now your a believer. I first heard this from some one who didn't like the idea of using synthetics until he got talked into trying it. The difference is truly amazing. My GZ250 shifted so hard that it would make my foot sore. The Mobile1 took care of that immediately.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:55 PM   #25
CANDY

I JUST DID MY FIRST 600 MILE OIL CHANGE. I USED 20W-50, NOTICED SMOOTHER SHIFTING,BUT I HAD THE BREAK-IN OIL IN IT BEFORE. IS THIS OIL LIKE THE SYNTHETIC OR IS IT JUST BETTER THAN WHAT WAS IN IT ? I ALSO ONLY RUN 93 OCTANE IN IT. I NOW HAVE 1200 MILES ON IT. I'M GETTING 78 MPG SOFAR, IS THAT ABOUT NORMAL?

Old 08-20-2007, 02:03 PM   #26
Gadzooks Mike

I think you'll find that fresh oil shifts better than old oil, but when you try synthetic, it's better yet. As for your mileage, you're doing better than I am. Seems like a few folks get terrific mileage for whatever reason, and you fall into that group. Most of us average around 65mpg or so.

Hogzuki. I like that! Chuckle chuckle.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:36 PM   #27
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANDY
I JUST DID MY FIRST 600 MILE OIL CHANGE. I USED 20W-50,

I ALSO ONLY RUN 93 OCTANE IN IT.
OK so, pray tell, why did you put in 20W50 when Suzuki recommends 10W40 ??

Putting in 93 octane gas does ABSOLUTELY nothing......except waste your money.
Old 08-20-2007, 09:00 PM   #28
Gadzooks Mike

All I can find here in Alabama is 87, 89, and 91 octane. Lately I've been experimenting with 89 and find it does run a bit smoother, but I haven't run enough through to be positive about it yet. Where do you get 93?

As for the 20-50, it's been HOT down here lately - triple digits every day for a couple of weeks now. As long as she warms it up a bit before she takes off, 20-50 makes sense to me. The owner's manual says you can use 20-50 if the temp isn't below 14F. She should be fine.
Old 08-21-2007, 05:36 PM   #29
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadzooks Mike
Where do you get 93?

The owner's manual says you can use 20-50 if the temp isn't below 14F. She should be fine.
Octane: Yea, what he said.

Oil: I didn't say it wouldn't be OK; was just asking! :roll:
Old 08-22-2007, 11:08 AM   #30
CANDY

i get 93 at the entek stations in this area. my husband suggested the 20-50, that's what he puts in our drag car. he said it would work better in this heat, but we are going to try the synthetic on my next oil change.