Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 06-05-2007, 09:42 AM   #11
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncruise
Anybody here traveling 4 miles round trip with 4-5 stop lights everyday? I just get 39 miles per gallon "max" (average 37MPG). I know something is definitely wrong... I need to send it back for warranty check/repair.

I need to know how much mileage people close to my travel distance are also getting so I have a point of comparison.
You probably should get it checked over, however...........

Driving 2 miles with a couple of stops along the way won't even get it warmed up good.
Mileage may improve some after it is broken in good but your routine won't give it a good break-in either. You REALLY need to do a ride of 10-15 miles at least once a week to give it some good exercise.

My guess is that your 2 mile trips will never average more than 40 mpg.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 06-22-2007, 05:19 PM   #12
GZ250

davidc83, have you done modifications/alterations to your bike. getting such a high MPG is incredible. i also drive at 50-60mph and never go above that or my bike never goes above 65 (full throttle).

any suggestions other than driving habits or driving at low speeds.
thanks
Old 06-24-2007, 11:50 PM   #13
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncruise
Anybody here traveling 4 miles round trip with 4-5 stop lights everyday? I just get 39 miles per gallon "max" (average 37MPG). I know something is definitely wrong... I need to send it back for warranty check/repair.

I need to know how much mileage people close to my travel distance are also getting so I have a point of comparison.

Thanks in advance....

John
Consider this, sitting in traffic gets 0 miles per gallon. If you spend most of your time in traffic you will definately kill your mileage numbers.
My trick, at long red lights and at RR tracks is to just shut it down.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:46 AM   #14
davidc83

gz250,
No modifications done to the bike except when I bought it, there were 4 extra holes drilled out of the muffler, they were done so exact I thought they were stock holes. they are 3/8" holes drilled out in a cross pattern from the stock hole about an inch from the stock hole. Also I have noticed, the higher the altitude I ride in (even a couple hundred feet higher) I get better gas mileage.

Oh, I just filled up after 2 days commuting to work, 144 miles-1.7 gallon.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:33 PM   #15
Badbob

My Gas Mileage

http://www.robertkeeney.com/blog/index. ... 318-083902

Old 06-28-2007, 10:07 AM   #16
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

IT MIGHT BE IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT, ACCORDING TO BADBOB'S RECORDS, HE REACHED 65MPG ONLY ONCE AFTER THE NEEDLE SHIM.

Sorry for the caps,
Jonathan
Old 06-28-2007, 05:18 PM   #17
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan180iq
IT MIGHT BE IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT, ACCORDING TO BADBOB'S RECORDS, HE REACHED 65MPG ONLY ONCE AFTER THE NEEDLE SHIM.
And your point is ????

If you are going to summarize his data, it would be nice if you would include his new average too.

I think it is pretty well understood that the pipe+air box+carb mods are not intended (or expected) to increase the fuel economy.

If that's your main concern, you should leave it STOCK (with a 16T sprocket).
:roll:
Old 06-28-2007, 05:49 PM   #18
Badbob

I noticed that myself.

However, it made such a huge difference that I'm reluctant to put it back just to find out. I can shift now where i want to instead of shifting to avoid the flat spots.

Caps are easy to fix. There is a key on your keyboard for that. I hate that key.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:15 AM   #19
jonathan180iq
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider

And your point is ????
It should be seen by the inexperienced that adjusting for more fuel flow will result in a decrease in mileage. :roll:
If your goal is not mileage, then you probably wouldn't care.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:13 PM   #20
GZ250

MPG

I think MPG also depends where you park your motorcycle. I do not have a covered place so mine sits outside under the sun the whole day. So you will loose some gas as vapors or fumes and in sunny days I hear the fumes escapin the gas tank. This will obviously give a less milage. am i right?