Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Riding Safety & Tips > Lessons Well-Learned

Old 09-26-2008, 10:26 PM   #11
alanmcorcoran

Re: Bet my back hurts tomorrow.

Well the kickstand is involved, won't start if it's down, will it? I always start mine with the clutch pulled in and the kickstand up. And in first gear. Not sure what is considered "cold" with oil. It rarely gets below 45 where I live, and temperatures in the 70's to the 100's are common, but maybe I better start thinking about the neutral start.

Never really had any trouble starting it in gear, except for my little adventure with the tallights.

Sorry to highjack the topic, I can start this up somewhere else if it's an issue. I tend to be a flitter when it comes to time wastin' on the internets.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 09-27-2008, 08:59 AM   #12
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmcorcoran
Well the kickstand is involved, won't start if it's down, will it? I always start mine with the clutch pulled in and the kickstand up. And in first gear.
OK, this ain't right......on two counts: The kickstand should have NO bearing on a cold, first start; it should work stand up or stand down. AND it should NOT start unless it is in neutral......at least that's the way mine works. After it is running and you kill it, then it works differently: you can start it in gear if you pull the clutch in and the side stand is still up.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:11 PM   #13
alanmcorcoran

Well, maybe they changed it. Mine's an 08. Here's my recollection:

If the kickstand is DOWN, you can start it in Neutral.
If the kickstand is UP, it don't have to be in Neutral.
If the kickstand is down, perhaps you can ONLY start in Neutral.

But, as I said, I always put the kickstand up first, and pull the clutch in before I start it...in first. As a newb, I generally defer to you more experienced riders, and, I am considering the cold start deal, but from where I sit, I think it's about equal to always start with the kickstand up and one's hand on the clutch vs the kickstand down and the bike in neutral. Plus, I think mine involves fewer steps each time, since I generally leave in in first when I shut it down and park it.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:56 PM   #14
Water Warrior 2

Quote:

If the kickstand is DOWN, you can start it in Neutral.
If the kickstand is UP, it don't have to be in Neutral.
If the kickstand is down, perhaps you can ONLY start in Neutral.

But, as I said, I always put the kickstand up first, and pull the clutch in before I start it...in first. As a newb, I generally defer to you more experienced riders, and, I am considering the cold start deal, but from where I sit, I think it's about equal to always start with the kickstand up and one's hand on the clutch vs the kickstand down and the bike in neutral. Plus, I think mine involves fewer steps each time, since I generally leave in in first when I shut it down and park it.
You got it Allan. The starter, sidestand and tranny have a safety interlock system. You can not ride away with the sidestand down. Putting the tranny in gear with the stand down will shut off the bike and also prevents the bike from starting in gear with the stand down.
Old 09-27-2008, 07:24 PM   #15
Easy Rider

Quote:
Crap. Senior moment. I hate it when that happens. :skull:

You are absolutely right. Could have SWORN that I tested it just before I sent that last (wrong) message. SIGH!! :??:

That's one for you, Alan!

Score: Seniors: 42
Rookies: 2
:crackup

Old 09-28-2008, 10:33 AM   #16
rusty rider

And now back to the original post:

I dropped my GZ shortly after I got it. I had parked in front of my garage and sat it on the stand. I went into my garage to open the overhead garage door, and as my door was going up and the bike just coming into view. I watched it go down in slow motion. I had only had the bike for less than a week when this happened. I didn't have engine guards, and with Suzuki guards it probably wouldn't have made a difference anyway. Clutch lever was scuffed on the very tip as well as the hand grip. The only other thing hurt was my pride for letting it happen. O_o
Old 09-28-2008, 12:43 PM   #17
deadman13

Send a message via AIM to deadman13 Send a message via Yahoo to deadman13

I had an xj750 that I did this to. I was at the post office and about to go in, when my nice warm (hot) bike decided it wanted to lie down on my left leg. After hopping out real quick, getting a little gas peed on me, I got it up no problem. That's an ungodly tall bike, but it wasn't bad. Come to think of it, when I was hit on it a few months before I hopped right up and stood it up with a broken foot (didn't know it was broken till I got off the bike) then coasted down the hill since it wouldn't start with a busted plug. When I got off, left leg was fine, right foot was facing my ass. Not good...
Old 09-30-2008, 03:30 AM   #18
alanmcorcoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Rider
Senior moment.
Wrote the book on that.... too bad they put a crap cover on it or I mighta made more money...