Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > GZ250-Specific > General Maintenance

Old 10-27-2008, 08:19 AM   #1
i2kdave

Spark plug and oil filter

What kind of spark plug do y'all use? Do you have to use the kind suggested in the manual, or are there others available from different companies?
Also, I've seen that the KN-136 oil filter is one that's commonly used, but are there others? I had Autozone order a KN-136 for me yesterday and, at 11 bucks, it's a little expensive. :retard:

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-27-2008, 09:25 AM   #2
caroledee1

Re: Spark plug and oil filter

I have been using NGK #DR8EA which is the standard plug. The Iridium plug is DR8EIX. I sold NAPA

auto parts for 7 years. I found that the Japanese plugs were recommended for Japanese engines. I

have had no problem with the standard NGK plugs. Where is North Cackalacky? North Carolina?
Old 10-27-2008, 10:41 AM   #3
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2kdave
What kind of spark plug do y'all use?
Why bother?
The recommended ones work fine and aren't terribly expensive, even from a dealer.
If you do a LOT of riding and change your oil often, do a search here for "filter" and you should find a source of "standard" filters at a discount price.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
i2kdave

Quote:
Why bother?
The recommended ones work fine and aren't terribly expensive, even from a dealer.
I was just curious, because I looked in Autozone and Advance Auto Parts the other day and couldn't find those plugs in either store. They might keep them behind the counter, though. I didn't ask because I was just browsing to see if I could find them, wasn't planning on buying one at the time. The nearest dealership is on the other side of town and I don't like having to go there for every little thing I need.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #5
Easy Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2kdave
They might keep them behind the counter, though.

The nearest dealership is on the other side of town and I don't like having to go there for every little thing I need.
Auto parts stores probably can get them....at extra price; not something they normally stock.

I see you are not "really" into this bike thing yet. Riding across town for parts is just another good excuse for a RIDE !! (Guess that kinda depends on how BIG the town IS.)

Plan ahead. Stored in a reasonable fashion, things like plugs and filters don't deteriorate over time. I always get at least 2 at a time.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:33 PM   #6
i2kdave

Well I wound up getting the plug off Amazon for $3.50. I was already ordering something else and needed something cheap to put me over the $25 requirement for free shipping. :2tup:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BYB8EC
Old 10-27-2008, 11:01 PM   #7
primal

Send a message via AIM to primal

OEM oil filter from my local Suzuki dealer cost me $5.50 (or there abouts).
Old 10-28-2008, 10:08 PM   #8
5th_bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by primal
OEM oil filter from my local Suzuki dealer cost me $5.50 (or there abouts).
At my local dealer:
oil filter $5.39
o-ring $1.39
o-ring $3.79
tax $0.63
total $11.20

Add oil, and changing the motorcycle's engine oil myself costs almost as much as having the garage change oil and filter for my car...
Old 10-29-2008, 04:22 AM   #9
alanmcorcoran

Plus, you gotta get rid of the oil. Not sure about you guys, but out here changing your own oil often means a trip to the household hazardous waste facility, (often found at oil change places.) Some cities will pick it up with the recycling.

Overall, a lot of hassle for the thrill of doing it yourself.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:11 AM   #10
i2kdave

Quote:
Add oil, and changing the motorcycle's engine oil myself costs almost as much as having the garage change oil and filter for my car...
That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw how much synthetic oil was....so I just got Valvoline motorcycle oil. :lol:
I know everyone says synthetic is the way to go, but that stuff is expensive!

Quote:
Plus, you gotta get rid of the oil. Not sure about you guys, but out here changing your own oil often means a trip to the household hazardous waste facility, (often found at oil change places.) Some cities will pick it up with the recycling.

Overall, a lot of hassle for the thrill of doing it yourself.
I used to change the oil in my truck myself, and that's pretty much why I stopped, b/c I'd always be too lazy to take the oil to the dump and it would wind up sitting in the garage and the container would be full the next time I went to change my oil. :whistle:
I'm going to try not to get into that habit with the bike. The container should hold a few oil changes worth for it, anyway.