Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 10-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
dwh367

Charity Rides

Just curious as to whether anyone else takes their GZ250 on Poker Runs, Toy Runs, etc. I try to make as many as my finances and my work schedule permit. I'm consistently the smallest displacement bike attending but I can pretty well hold my own keeping up with the big bikes unless they're running balls to the wall. Fortunately, that doesn't happen very often though. However, I always make sure that I know where the stops are so that if I do get left behind, I know where to catch up with the others again. I've never had to use that plan yet but it's always best to be prepared. Although most of the runs I go on are dominated by Harley Davidsons, I've never yet gotten an attitude from any of the other riders. Most of them I run into practice the "it's not what you ride as long as you ride" philosophy. If you've never tried a charity ride, I'd encourage you to give it a shot sometime. Out of all the runs I've made, I've only won one time and I donated my winnings back to the cause. Whether I win or whether I lose, I have a good time socializing with other riders and enjoying the scenery along the way and that's what makes the run worth it for me.

Login or Register to Remove Ads
Old 10-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
Rookie Rider

Re: Charity Rides

I've been riding 5months now with the gz which i learned on. I did my first bike run 2 weeks ago. Bikers For Babies, hosted by Dee Snyder, frontman for HEavy Metal band Twisted Sister. Ride for premature birth. I had the only gz. Smallest bike. We went 60-65 the whole way. Honestly, i wish i had a different bike for the runs. But fun as hell.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:50 AM   #3
cayuse

I went on a big Toy Run recently in Vancouver. They say there were over 7000 bikes in the parade. As you say, most were HD's, but there were plenty of metric bikes, sport bikes, trikes, customs, even scooters. My GZ was definitely one of the smallest, but who cares? Nobody in the run seemed to care in the least. I think we averaged about 40mph over the course of the run. A poker run is one thing, but a charity 'parade' like a Toy Run is simply a feel-good cruise where everyone is there for the same good cause. If you've never done it because you figured the GZ is too small, think again. You'll have no trouble keeping up with anyone. I'm going on another toy run this coming weekend.
Here's a link to some raw news footage of the Vancouver Toy Run.

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA

Old 10-17-2011, 12:26 AM   #4
cayuse

Took part in the Fraser Valley Toy Run this morning. 800+ riders. Lots of loot and money raised for the Christmas Bureau. My better half even rode pillion with me!!! (she yells in my ear if I exceed 60kph so this was a big thing)

2005 GZ250 (sold after 26000km)
2013 CB500XA
Old 05-21-2012, 11:38 PM   #5
kmrcstintn

I'm relatively new to motorcycles (started out on scooters last June) and I did my first charity ride/poker run last month in southcentral PA (a memorial St. Jude's Ride); due to the distance from my house to the sponsoring dealership I hauled my GZ250 on the back of my suv using a VersaHaul carrier...there was a tremendous size difference between my 250 and the majority of cruisers & baggers pushing 1100cc's on up; the next smallest I saw was an older Yamaha Virago 535; I had much difficulty keeping up with the 2 couples that let me ride with them so I didn't get lost, especially thru the mountains of Perry County and the 5 mile bursts on 322 South & 81 South; total route was nearly 110 miles & I felt that I pushed the GZ beyond normal riding conditions; lesson learned...if I do that ride next year I will start out earlier and ride my Yamaha V Star 650 which can manage that kind of ride much better

on the opposite side of the coin I did a self-paced poker run for the Motor Maids that had alot of stops at intersections and farm country roads with right angles which caused much upshifting and downshifting and I used the Yamaha 650...I wish I had the GZ250 which handles slower rides better since I don't have to shift as much at lower engine speeds;

can poker runs be done with a small displacement motorcycle? yes, but romps thru the mountains and runs on the highways will have your GZ screaming and this will sheer your oil quicker, hence an oil change shortly after the run...

Old 05-22-2012, 06:05 AM   #6
Rionna

I was wondering about the GZ on charity rides. I know of a few groups who have had lots of rides lately, and I've been itching to join in. As a backseat passenger, I went on plenty so I know they are fun. My 1st year of riding, I knew it wasn't safe for me or others to join in. I now feel ready, but like you mentioned, I don't want to push my bike too much. I may consider a shorter ride with a not so challenging route like you suggest. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:57 AM   #7
kmrcstintn

I'll elaborate a bit more...I was tired when I posted yesterday; I am not discouraging anyone from participating in such events, but the simple truth is the larger the machine the easier it is to stay with a group of riders, especially when you are not familiar with the entire route in question; unfortunately most events are self-paced poker run style and not pack-style runs...pack style runs usually have a ride leader and safety blockers that augment traffic control to keep the pack together and this requires more planning and personnel;

if you are well familiar with the roads in the area that a ride is taking place then doing a self-paced run as a solo rider is easier and less stressful on a GZ, but part of the alure of rides is to explore routes that one is not familiar with and staying up with a group becomes more paramount; I'm not saying that you won't have charitable folks to help you, but sometimes their patience can be stretched, especially when highways and roads with higher speed limits come into play;

fortunately I discovered a local motorcycle club that is layed back, not brand affiliated, and don't really care what I ride...just that I ride; they host several poker runs each season and I am in the initiation phase of joining; most of the routes in my local area are flat, moderate speed limits, and mostly rolling hills...perfect for the GZ; other charity rides that I have signed up for take routes that I might not know well so for those I will use the V Star to keep up with the larger bikes on these runs;

perhaps you can find a local club and discover others with smaller bikes and form a riding group to pace each other on rides...
Old 05-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #8
dentheman

Great posts! I am going to do some research to find such rides in my area. I enjoy my lone rides, but think I would enjoy riding with others much more. I don't know any other riders, so this would be a good way to meet people. And doing it for a good cause would be icing on the cake.

I would like to know how these rides work. Do you pay in advance toward a charity to get to ride in the group? Are these rides organized by motorcycle clubs or by the charities themselves?
Old 05-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
mole2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentheman
Great posts! I am going to do some research to find such rides in my area. I enjoy my lone rides, but think I would enjoy riding with others much more. I don't know any other riders, so this would be a good way to meet people. And doing it for a good cause would be icing on the cake.

I would like to know how these rides work. Do you pay in advance toward a charity to get to ride in the group? Are these rides organized by motorcycle clubs or by the charities themselves?
All of the above. You can either pay in advance or pay at registration on the day of the ride. Some rides are organized by the clubs for charity purpose and some are organized by the charity itself. Most are small local charities with a specific purpose. We have a rider magazine here in the Caroliners where some of the rides are listed while others post notices in the bars frequented by riders and food establishments. I have one I go on yearly and I'll pick another randomly.

Old 05-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
kmrcstintn

often the organizers will offer a t-shirt for advanced pay...a definite advantage; the advantage to waiting until the day you ride is if you decide NOT to ride due to weather, illness, etc...you don't lose your money; if you pay in advance and can't ride you might arrange a refund (if a t-shirt order wasn't placed), but I just consider it a DONATION & arrange for a receipt if the organization is a qualified non-profit for tax reporting (and hopefully snag the 'goody bag' at a later date);

I started identifying these using a motorcycle periodical a few months ago and picked up info from local motorcycle shops in the area (I'll stop on my rides and ask about charity runs/look for info printouts); also check dealers' websites under the 'events or of interest' section;

as a reminder I made a schedule of local events, rides, meals, etc and update it weekly; sometimes I have to bail on Saturday events due to working weeknights and sometimes get really busy on Friday nights at the hospital where I work...