Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General > Member Introductions

Old 11-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #1
lenkf

New member in SoCal

I just bought a 2009 GZ with 132 miles. It's black and looks like all the other black stock GZs so no picture for now The only "mod" I've done was to remove the rear seat. Obviously the first time it had been removed judging from the dust. It now has 325 miles. The oil is still clean and no cracks in tires. This is essentially a new bike so I'm riding it using break-in limitations. Had it up to 55mph cruising on back roads, but that's as fast as I'll take it now. The "safety" interlocks on this machine are different than my other moto so getting used to a different startup routine.

I'm surprised this little machine has so much power on a decent hill in 5th gear, and I weigh 200 lbs. The engine seems to have good power at low and high rpms. It has good acceleration from a stop light without getting into high rpms. Portrero Canyon Rd. in Ventura County is popular with bicyclists and motorcyclists. This GZ took me up the hill into Newbury Park as fast as I wanted to go with power to spare. I've looked around on the web and couldn't find any photos of the GZ head underside so I can see how it works.

I can understand why some have moved to a 16t drive sprocket as the gearing is a bit on the low side. But low gearing might work out for me if I put a sidecar on the GZ. The stock gearing seems like I could still cruise 60mph with the added weight and aero drag. I haven't found examples on the GZ250bike forum of others who have hacked the GZ250. If I go that route, I'll put up photo details of the attachment.

I know some might caution me about hacking the GZ, not enough power, dangerous right turns and poorer braking, poorer gas mileage, etc. For my mostly around town needs, a hacked GZ will offer more storage utility than smallish saddlebags and big backpack I've been riding a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 sidecar outfit for a couple years on the job as well as shopping (25mpg around town if I'm lucky). Also the occasional ride on Hwy 101 up and down the coast, into the mountains. The GZ will offer lots better mpg.

We don't need a motorcycle license in California for 3 wheel vehicles including motorcycles (the old "bubble cars" had 3 wheels and are still legal on the road). So, now I have a motorcycle learning permit and am practicing the "lollipop" on weekends at a nearby DMV. That's not an easy test even with a small motorcycle! The local motorcycle safety courses I've looked at have been so commercialized that they are really expensive, so I doubt I do that. (I took such a course a few decades ago so I could ride a motorcycle on a military base.) I just need to get used to 2 wheels again, or hack the GZ before my permit expires

I've ordered Suzuki saddlebag mounts and will get some larger size bags. May get a windscreen. I like the Slipstreamer SS28 with 4 mounts I think. With the back seat off, there's a really nice place to install some kind of mount for additional storage, but I haven't seen such an accessory mount on the net for that position (a home-made job?). I'll be looking for a seat cushion.

Thanks to the administrators of this forum for keeping it going. After studying the forum for weeks, I knew more about the GZ250 than the salesman at the Suzi motorcycle store I bought it from. I had also been looking at the Suzuki S40/Savage/LS650 bike but these are really rare on the used California market. It would be a better choice to hack. I decided the 250 would be the better choice for me now until I get my 2-wheelin chops back.

BTW, The Suzi TU250X is now for sale in California (modified to pass C.A.R.B. requirements), but I have not seen a single one in local Suzi motorcycle stores. Also it seems like the GZ250 is cancelled for 2012 in the US, I suppose replaced by the TU250X not in stores yet The bore/stroke on the TU250X is the same as the GZ250 so the bottom end of the engines may be the same. I haven't seen any decent comparisons of the GZ250 and TU250X.

Thanks again for all the good info here.

Fred Lenk

Login or Register to Remove Ads