Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   GZ 250 Forums > General Motorcycle-Related > Ride Reports & Meets

Old 09-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #1
alanmcorcoran

REI

Recreational Equipment Inc. (REI) is a sort of candy store for the outdoorsy types, backpackers, kayakers, my daughter. They don't sell motorcycle stuff, but any excuse to get on the bike works for me. The one in Santa Ana is about 26 miles roundtrip give or take. Starts out on the same backroads I use to get pretty much everywhere, then up through though some hills, canyons, turns, twists, then down Newport Ave the rest of the way.

They carry some stuff I use on my feet and boxes of Gu are on sale, so it won't be a complete waste of time. But the main reason I'm going, besides the excuse to get in some miles, is to pay for whatever goodies my oldest decides she's gotta have.

This is my first time on the bike since returniing from a 6-day trip to NYC. I'm a little concerend I've gotten rusty, but once enroute, I'm actually so comfortable I need to remind myself to stay alert and watch for trouble. Riding is a lot more enjoyable now than when I started. Shifting, braking, starting off, etc. are all pretty much automatic now. I can focus on the road and the ride a lot more and I've lost all the jitters that go with not being familiar with the equipment. Got down to the store in about a half hour or less, met up with Karen, did some shopping and even had a little Labor day hot dog picnic out front. I found a black backpack that is designed with a padded slot that I can take my lappie into work in, so it wasn't a total lark.

On the way back I stopped and took a couple of pictures. Figured out how to fish my camera out of my jacket and snap a photo without taking my gloves off. Ran out of gas in damn near the same place I did last time, but... this time I reached down, felt around a bit, and was able to switch it to reserve WITHOUT.... STOPPING... THE BIKE. Starting to feel like a big boy!

I've crossed the 500 mile threshold. Not sure what this means, but I know they ask you which side of it you are on when you take the MSF. Having a lot of fun and enjoying the road.

[pbss:70ebr9a5]http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/alanmcorcoran/REI/?action=view&current=4348f43b.pbw[/pbss:70ebr9a5]

Login or Register to Remove Ads